Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shipping Seven to US and regulations

Aidan Parte

I am moving to the US (Connecticut) in December and would be grateful for any advice fellow Blatchatters may have regarding shipping (logistics, costs, etc.) and importation and emissions regulations over there. My car is a 1982 1600 X-flow with twin 40 DCOEs if that helps.

My alternatives are selling the car (I've had it 9 years and am not keen on this option!) or leaving it in my lock-up (my brother a friend have volunteered to take it for a spin regularly).

I have a friend in Michigan who has imported 2 X/Flow Sevens, the last one about a year ago. The trick is to import the car and engine separately to entirely different ports, so I am reliably informed.

The engine is, apparently, simply viewed as spare parts and is quite possible to register in some states once the 2 are reunited. I don't know, however, if that applies to Connecticut.

I think he jumped through quite a few hoops with his first car about 3 years ago but knew the correct procedures the 2nd time around.

I have been unable to contact him recently but I will get his email address from my PC at home and mail it to you tomorrow. If you can contact him, he should be able to help you.

Brent

Zetec

Registration requirements in the US vary widely from state to state. In many states it is possible to register xflow cars, but it often requires registering under a special classification which, sometimes, can mean an imposed mileage limit. I have registered my xflow successfully in Ohio and in Michigan. In Ohio it had to be regsitered as a "collector car" which basically entailed writing to the Department of Motor Vehicles explaining that the car was a rare car, with pictures, etc, and that it is used only for pleasure driving, along with proof that I had a regular car registered for daily driving. This exempted the car from Ohio's bi-annual emissions checks with no mileage cap. Michigan was much easier as there is no state emission test or inspection required. In both states, it was titlled as an assembled vehicle.

Most states have some provision to title/register non-production vehicles for road use which exempts them from crash tests, etc, but this again, depends on the state. Don't know how this might affect a car being brought in from elsewhere, but I imagine it is do-able.

I do not know the specifics about CT, but would advise that you poke around here. In my experience there is often information about registering special cars on the websites, but it can be buried and hard to find. You can also call the DMV in CT and start asking questions. Just realize that the average worker in some little town doesn't really know all the ins and outs of registering something that is built in quantities of less than 1e5, so it's best to try to contact the main state DMV office and speak to someone knowledgeable. In my experience, when applying for registration, it is important to emphasize that the car is "collectable" and for pleasure use only, not a daily driver and will see limited mileage.

Another contact you might try is Chris Tchorznicki at

Sevens and Elans

in Massachusettes. I don't actually know him, but he is the regional dealer for New England. He assuredly has sold some cars to owners in CT, and if he doesn't know the process for CT himself, perhaps he can put you in touch with someone who does.

Are you moving here more or less permanaently or is it a "couple of years" thing? If it's just for a couple of years, there may be a way to essentially "bond" the car with US customs so that you do not need to pay import duties provided that the car leaves the country within some specified period of time. Don't know if US customs does this, but I did it with Canadian customs when working there for 2 years a while back and it was no big deal.

Finally, in terms of insurance, you will likely need "specialty" insurance if you want a reasonable rate. A couple of the big carriers can do special cars, but you can also just go straight to one of the niche, special car underwriters. I use

Hagerty

and have been very pleased with them.

Phew. Hope you can get your car in okay, or figure out a way to have one here. Connecticut has some magnificent 7-ing areas. I haven't yet had my car out that way, but it's definately in the plans. Whereabouts in CT are you going to be?

As I say, I'm not familiar with CT's rules per se, but if you'd like any more advice, feel free to email me.

Regards,

Dave

"Ann Arbor, MI" ??

*sound of a pump-action Mossberg being cycled*

Isn't that where EPA is located ? The main lab for imports, at least ? Where gouvernment-employed people like to mess with companies' businesses ? *mad*

. . . *click* . . . *eek*

Cheers ! - Karsten

If its a temporary visit, you can take the car for 12 mths - then re-export it (don't know if a day in Mexico or Canada counts as exporting ) or scrap it! it used to be for the duraton of the trip but it was changed a few years ago - probably too many too long trips!

As a temporary visit it can run on UK plates and tax and is not liable to meet any US regs.

I considered taking the chassis and inserting a local motor and registering it as a home built or unique vehicle in ustate NY - DMV in Albany was very helpful.

i just couldn't find a long term way of getting my Integrale out there!

Bri

And even then the state agency don't always know or you run foul of the local guy. Do alot of research and get the answer in writing. Though a crossflow maybe easier i suspect it will be almost impossible unless its 25+years old. I gave up in the end and the car remians in storage in the UK. Which makes me mad when you see some of the junk that rolls around the streets here.

Driving on the left side 😬

Thanks to everyone for their helpful responses to the forum and by e-mail. Unfortunately, I think it will be too costly to send the car abroad and quite a bit of hassle (I'm leaving in less than 3 weeks!) ☹️. I shall keep it and use it on return visits, including Le Mans trips, etc. I may buy something interesting over in the US, perhaps even a Seven! Or a pink Cadillac...or some rubbish 'coup' with a vinyl roof and chrome bars on the side 😳