Click here if you are having website access problems ×

That Gearbox Plug

Nov-07

Are there any current builders out there who have discovered that the drain plug in their 5-speed box has a square socket rather than a 10mm hex 🤔 What tool do you recommend for its removal and replacement once the gearbox is installed 🤔

Caterham were very puzzled when I asked them, it seems that they had not noticed the change 😳

TonyK

Mine's square (the plug that is *cool* ) and I can confirm that a 3/8" socket driver will work. It's a little kludgey as it's a loose-ish fit in the plug, but provided you don't overtighten it, it's no big deal. It is a tight squeeze between g-box case and the pedal box on my LHD car, but perhaps the plug is far enough for it not to be an issue on RHD cars (can't remember off hand quite where it falls)

Thank you all for helpful replies and for the reference to the same topic elsewhere. I found that the "proper" tool, an 11mm square, would not fit because the plug had been bashed by persons unknown, peening over the metal into the square aperture. A bit of grinding and filing of the square drive eventually produced a fit. I believe that Caterham may send me a hex replacement. The engine is in anyway *thumbup*

TonyK