Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driving a Se7en in Hot Weather Conditions

kasi

in a couple of weeks, my seven will arrive in aruba, a caribbean island, always around 30 celsius and dry weather conditions.

the car is zetec powered 45 DCOE webers, GEMS enigine management box and a complete engine installation kit from Raceline. Any suggestions about oil, carborator set up or anything else to watch out for?

Thank you for any tip.

Kasi *thumbup* *cool*

30 degrees is pleasant. I drive my Seven in Southern California and summer tends to be on the warm side. But I don't have any special engine setup. I went to a track day last July in Willow Spings/Mojave Desert at , well, around 42 degrees C and used more drinking water than fuel. No problem with the engine, though (Zetec, 45DCOE and Dunnell ECU).

I did install a footwell bottom louver to protect my trotters from roasting (wedge-shaped ali box, rear open that sucks air out through a drilled grid) and sealed all gaps in the firewall. That helps a little.

Gert

And if it has a heater fitted, take it out and blank off the holes. It is surprising just how hot the air coming through that can be even with the heater valve off.

I drove my Zetec in 42 deg temperatures in France this year with no ill effect on the car. I was like a limp rag by the end of each day though.

Brent

The Crustacean Popular Front

Figthing for the right to swim with other Crustaceans 😬

Zetec

I agree that can be another problem area Paul, but certainly the heater holes were responsible for cooking my wifes feet this year until I temporarily blanked them off with duct tape.

I did look at the possibility of ducting ambient air into the footwell but it wouldn't have been straightforward.

Brent

Fighting for the right to swim with other Crustaceans 😬

Zetec

Just one other thought, I would look at upgrading to throttle bodies at some stage. I always found the DCOEs very sensitive to temperature increases causing hesitation and stuttering the hotter it got.

On TB's this year there was absolutely no problems of that sort and the engine never misbehaved in over 1200 miles of really hot weather driving.

Brent

Fighting for the right to swim with other Crustaceans 😬

Zetec

Hi Kasi!

Agree with most of posts over here. Weather here up to around 43's here in summer. Main problem IS not getting roasted in the car. Water temperature runs constant at around 90C and only rises when in seriously slow traffic or during runs at our local dragstrip.

Not had any problems with carbs associated with temperature. However, loss of engine performance with temperature is bugging, which unfortunately is something I cannot measure objectively. You will of course notice this with all engines. As I have a 16Vx in my 7 the loss of power is quite noticeable.

You might probably want to go out for blats early on or later in the day to enjoy the car more, or go for short ones. Again, as said before, make sure you drink enough water - if the ambient air is dry you'll be getting dehydrated really fast.

Antonella *smile*

1998 Caterham Classic

(Malta)

my site here

more photos here

*cool* *cool*

Thank you all for the response *thumbup*

And Greetings from Aruba

I somebody from this board ever make vacation in Aruba come over here I am the Guy with the Knifes in my hands in the midle of my crew.

www.madamejanette.com

Steve, I will take a picture and mail it, although I am somewhat embarrassed. While the vent works well, I did a pretty poor job in terms of workmanship, not exactly to my own standards. 🙆🏻 My lame excuse is the limited space with the car on axle stands. Doesn't make it easy to keep everything lined up. *confused*

Fortunately nobody will see it except when crawling under the car. 😬

Gert

Kasi, I had a problem here in Dubai with legs and feet getting "coorked" and resolved it by fitting air scoops on the sides of the footwells. Since the airflow over cockpit, and screen if you have one creates a negative pressure, there is a very powerfull blast of ambient air generated for cooling. Works very well, but requires some minor surgery.

e-mail me if you want a picture.