Click here if you are having website access problems ×

removing engine with Powerspeed exhaust?

Strangely

My Powerspeed primaries are a *very* tight friction fit onto the secondaries - Dave gave the end of the silencer many very hard blows with a mallet to get the two to mate properly. This means that there's a very good seal between the two.

It also means that I can't get the $*&£!$* thing apart now that I want to take the exhaust off to aid in removing the engine. Does anyone know either:

a) how to get the primaries apart?

b) whether it's possible to remove the engine with the exhaust still in the engine bay (obviously not attached to the engine - doh!)

(When I said "me" referring to doing work on my car I actually mean "Phil", of course. Sorry for any confusion *tongue*).

Christian - I have taken my exhaust off a number of times with no poroblems, so I guess it depends how hard you hit yours with a mallet when you put it on *confused*

Strangely - I assume you have tried squirting in some WD40 to help and then letting it penetrate a little 🤔

rob

Strangely,

This is the mother of awkward jobs. I have had reason to attempt the exact same job. The method I used was -

1. disconnect the mounting bolts and place a thick piece of card between the exhaust and the body work for protection.

2. Then lye down with left leg/foot supporting the exhaust and right foot applying pressure/kicking the tailpipe.

3. I used a hammer and a suitable drive placed in the nook where the secondaries meet to tap (beat) the pipe away from the join. Don't be scared to hit it pretty hard and don't hit the can, you will dent it!

After some movement you will be able to feel the 'spring' in the primaries holding the collector, you may want to pry the relevant 'sprung' pipes apart slightly with a large screwdriver to relieve the pressure. Take your time and the pipe *will* ease off.

Make sure the card prevents the pipe hitting the bodywork when it begins to loosen. If there is two of you, one can do the tapping and one do the waggling *eek* if you see what I mean.

Best of luck.

Tom

Thanks Rob.

Like Strangely, my exhaust relies on a close friction fit between primaries and secondaries, though Dave didn't have to hit anything (too hard) to get it to fit. I guess it's just a question of wiggling things around a bit to get them separated. In fact, as well as the MOT, I want to take the exhaust off to tidy up the welding and to give it a definitive polish, hence the reason for wanting all the bits to come apart.

Dave_H: I'd heard this was possible. Probably worth chancing it...

C7 CCL - broom broom

Leave the primaries bolted to the head, free the exhaust

from the bodywork. Have a helper slowly rotate the end of the exhaust, whilst you thump collector/silencer with a rubber hammer.

Remember to use copperslip on reassembly

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Just did this job last weekend...

Leave the manifold bolted on and work the silencer up and down and it will gradually come away from the collector / primaries - my silencer came off with the collector attached.

You may be able to get the engine out with the primaries in the engine bay. There was not enough clearance to get the primaries out with the engine in situ in my case, but with the primaries separated, you can rotate them to get them well out of the way. I took my engine out WITHOUT the gearbox. If you do this, you need enough space the rotate the engine clockwise the clear the clutch cable at the bell housing and for the alternator pulley to clear the front crosspiece when you lift the engine up out of the engine bay...

Phil and I have just got in from successfully removing the engine and gearbox, and I can safely say that getting the Powerspeed exhaust off was the most difficult part of the job. We ended up using a combination of suggested approaches. We started with the subtle "bash the silencer with a mallet" technique, followed by the intelligent "squirt in some WD40" approach (followed by some more bashing) then an extended wiggle did the trick.

Thanks everyone for your help. The next most difficult task will no doubt be getting the bloody thing back together.