Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil filters VX

Glenn Wheeler

Glen,

Be careful.

There is a shallow filter (which is the one Caterham sell) for the wet sump Vaux. Use an FB2099 or one of the xflow/ Renault 4 filters and it can hit the road or a catseye - shortcut to death of your engine.....

Pay the extra! They are only about £7

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

Talkaing of filters, I've often wondered if there is really differnce in OE, Halfords, Bosch, Champion and any others that are available, and surely a bigger filter is better [given that it isn't going to be wiped along the road of course].

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Be Very careful with filters. Although I haven't checked for a few years some of the cheaper copies didn't used have a pressure release valve in them, when the standard one had one as standard, although I am not sure if any Caterham filters have valves in them anyway. Secondly if you are using high revs the better quality ones are always best. The reason is that they use thicker steel for the filter sides. You might think that that is a minor thing but it isn't. I have seen over the years, three filters where the sides split under oil pressure load - all were cheap. One was on a bedford CF van of all things, the other two were grass track racers running about 9k with dry sumps. I always use a Ford EFL500 on my cross-flow as its a shallow filter that feels solid, and not too light in weight. I always carry a spare though in case of failure as my engine often sees 9300 RPM.