Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IACV - "f@£k me! have I found it?????????? - time will tell

grumpy the 7th

Hi you three - nifty, fordy & angus&tessa

After finding out a new iacv was loadsa money i poked & hoped & tried again -Yes the bloody piston did shoot out!!! & I found the spring at the bottom of a dark, oily & spidery dingy pit! - "sod it - That's broken it now" I thought!!!

I put it back together as best I could & tried again with my thumb over the plunger this time. Turning the ignition on & off caused the plunger to retract with the ignition on & come out with the ignition off. (keeping thumb over the end) it just vibrated (steady girls) and the held there. So I thought I'd put it back & hope I'd not bu@@ered it!

Following your three's advice I looked for something 'electrical' & air 'pipey' to the ECU.

This is where I get technical (NOT)

I found a single unprotected blue(ish) wire coming out of the loom which I thought was shorting on the back edge of the block. This proved to be ok (no cut insulation) BUT I followed this to a sensor in the water rail. (to the tune of the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone song) {radiator top hose, connected to the metal water pipe on exhaust side, tee off to wussey heater, tee off to sensor with two pink & black wires, tee off to sensor with one 'BLUEish wire, then pipe connected to block}

The sensor with the single blueish wire has a loose nylon inner where the spade terminal connector comes out of. THIS TURNS THROUGH 120 DEGREES (I don't think this should happen !!!!!!)

Anyways' - I start the engine & 'twiddle' the spade connector through it's 120 degs - GUESS WOT?? - the engine revs & de-revs according to how much I twiddle

WOT IS THIS SENSOR ???????? - (WATER TEMP)????? - water temp gauge never flickers, it always stays (once hot) as near as damn it @ 78-80 degs.

Once I know what it is - I'll get a new one & see what happens next.

I'm not able to read this @ work - but feel free to email me @ 'roger.heeley@bt.com' - so I might be able to source one & try it before the snow comes

thanks for the help

rog

C7 TNT (it's dynamite)

Ho Ho, the 'spring' surprise.; I remember that one. Never did find mine !!! Got a new IACV anyway.

There are 2 sensors on the water rail. One is a water temp sensor for the gauge (black bodied connector on sensor I think) and the other is the Coolant temp sensor to the ECU (blue connector I think, located at the back of the engine on the water rail by the heater take off ISTR). These are known to fail and only cost about a £5 to replace. If they fail the ECU runs a back up value. The effect you saw is actually similar to the way you check the function of this sensor - unplug while engine is running, if the engine note changes then your sensor would have been fine. If not it was dead already. Only good for spotting sensors that have totally failed, otherwise tricky to diagnose.

Mine seems to be OK. Will check again though.

Roger

there are two sensors and this is the one that goes to the ECU (the other controls the gauge) so if it's duff it will give the wrong signals and the ECU will adjust the map causing your problems, it's probably giving a signal suggesting the water is cold so the engine adds fuel and increases the revs to compensate, a bit like an old choke.

Mark

edited .........Fordy...... I need to type faster!

Edited by - F355GTS on 21 Oct 2003 21:50:46