Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2 Build or not 2 Build

jonathan123

2 Build or not 2 Build is the question for me. I am about to order my new Caterham so that I can compete in the Acadamy next season. Caterham tellme that 70 hours will build the car, is this realistic?, can someone with minimal experience build one or is there anyone in Essex that would care to help either as a hobby or as a paid job? What way fellow 7 guys?

Jonathan123

If you are going to race and you are to do the oily bit at races I feel that you have no choice but build it yourself then you will have an understanding of how to adjust it and repair it in a race track paddock.

If all the bits come from Caterham or other component manufactures then most of it is straight forward I speck from experience of being ¾ the way through a Westfeil build and all the bits I have put in the car I know how to remove and replace if needed I have had to ask advice along the way from the factory and others and all have always been helpful. If the race series cars have to be the same it is even easier as you cannot up and down grade bits along the way due to the rules.

If your race budget allows others to do the repairs etc let then build it as then they will have the experience of the car as and when needed.

Most kit manufactures say you do not need to be in the trade but it does help or know someone who is. Good luck.

Go for it! As previously stated if you need to fix it then its better that you know how to build it. Built my 97 spec Vauxhall with all the trimings in a single garage in 21/2 weeks. Could have completed it in one week had all the correct parts arrived from the Factory with the kit. Don't worry the postal service is brill with next day the norm. Wish I lived closer as i would help. If you don't fancy it then phone and I'll build it for you at a small fee. Really they are easy to build compared to W*******ds as the kit arrives in a far higher level of build.

Jonathan,

I built my scholarship car in 98 and whilst there was a lot of frustration at times with wrong parts, appalling instructions etc I thoroughly enjoyed it. Several of us on the scholarship used to help each other via email to get over the problems.

I am now building my second car - so it can't have been that bad!!!

To ease the worries I would suggest you need to do the following:

- Spend some time talking to Derek Moore at Classic Carriage Co. Why? Well it is Derek that is the technical expert on the scholarship/academy/graduate Caterhams - CCC does all the technical and support work for Caterham on these race series - it is CCC staff that come to the sprints/hillclimbs/races. A fount of knowledge who is very happy to help. Talk to Derek also about any options you are thinking of on your academy car. You can find out what other people do. Far more use than talking to the factory.

- If you are still unsure get CCC to build the car. They do it quicker and cheaper than Caterham. They usually build at least half a dozen of each of the batches of scholarship/academy cars. If you go to CCC at present you will find the place stuffed full of academy and supergraduate cars they have built or are building and graduate cars in for a pre-season fettle...

- I used CCC to do the post build on my scholarship car - despite it being 1 1/2 hours from here (Gloucester) and Arrowstar being closer. I will be doing the same with the new car.

CCC have moved a couple of miles from Mallory Park in the last few weeks so give them a ring on 01455 841616.

Derek doesn't pay me anything for this!!!!

Brian

IMHO 70 hours is very optimistic for someone claiming only minimal experience. Prior to building my car I would put myself in the same category, and it took me 10 days of full time effort. I also had full time help for the first week, and various helpers at the weekend. I estimate it took about 170 man hours.

You will spend a *lot* of time measuring bolts, scratching your head as you try to interpret the build manual, and swearing just before you phone Caterham to get them to send the missing bits (which they do with impresive efficiency). No doubt a more experienced and confident person can eliminate some of this by reducing the need to consult the manual and debate the options too much.

Having said all that, I urge you to roll your sleeves up and build it yourself. As you're going racing you will have to perform routine spannering, and the build will give you the knowledge and confidence you need, not to mention a great deal of satisfaction.

I am just about to receive my second kit, and it will be interesting to see how long it takes this time. I'm hoping it will seem a lot more staright forward, though there is the added complication of the SVA this time around.

The bottom line is, if I can do it anyone can!

Jon

Build it, but just don't be in too much of hurry to finish the build, 'though I suppose you will be 'cause you'll want to race it.

Most people feel a small sense of loss when they finish, because it is designed by Caterham to be so easy that it is really very pleasurable [OK for 90% of first time builders anyway] and almost and end in itself. The instruction manual is good and is backed up by excellent service from either the factory or Dereck Moore [at least it is good compared with all the other kits on the market].

All the other reasons put foreward so far are also very valid.

Go for it - you won't regret it, and you will get one hell of a kick out of completing it yourself.

Jonathan, BUILD.

I built 2 the first took about 55 hours with no experience, the second about 70 but Caterham had done less on this one, roof and boot will take ages, mechanicals are a piece of cake. I swore after the last one I would not build another, the novelty temporarily wears off, however I'd probably do it again soon. I live in Essex and would gladly help (how much do I need to pay you?) but only until the end of the month then I move to Hertfordshire. If thats still close then feel free to shout for (limited) help.

Si