Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Type 9 gearbox

Real-Stig

I don't think your completely right there Arnie. It's been a while since I last looked for g/boxes, but I seem to remember being told that the earlier 3.0 litre V6 engined Grannies/Crappies used the long shaft box, the later 2.8 engined cars used essentially the same box, but with the front end modified to stop one of the shafts drilling its way through, this is obviously a better box, but harder to find. The earlier box is quite usable, but the indent in the front needs filling in to stop oil finding its way out, I've always found a suitably sized bit of ply smothered in gasket silicon sealant works just fine.

I have been making a few enquiries, it would seem that the Sierra 2.8L Type 9 box is definitely the one to go for. The old V6 Granada/Capri boxes are only 4 speed (well that's what I'm told..[;-)]. So if anyone knows of a Sierra 2.8L type 9 5-speed box going cheap, please let me know......thanks [:-)]

Nope, they may have made a 4 speed version too, with the side change mechanism, but I've personally bought and used a 5 speeder from the 3.0 l V6, so I know they are around in abundance, you shouldn't need to pay more than £50-£75 either. Have a word with Brian Hill of BGH geartec or SPC who advertise in the Mag.

Why bother as the Type 9 is crap! suggest you talk with SPC and get a modified unit from Steve.

The std. unit has very poor ratios and a weak third gear. You have been warned, "It is the weakest link" and spols the car!

P.S. the box you need is from a Sierra XR4i, Good luck