Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toddler Booster Seats

Carl Lawrence

I have a 2-year-old boy who is desperate for a ride in Daddy's Caterham. Problem is the seating position is a little low and the 4-point harness is a little unsafe and chafes.

I think fitting the crutch straps and a little padding should sort the harness out but I'm unsure how to boost the height safely.

Has anyone else managed to successfully solve this problem?

Alternatively does any one sell either a child’s car seat that would fit with a normal belt (unlikely with the limited width) or a seat that can be bolted to the chassis in place of the standard passenger seat?

Suggestions appreciated.

Carl

Hi Carl,

I have a Britax seat which fits snugly onto my '95 vintage "S-Type" seats.

It has a 5 point harness which is ideal to secure them in and a tilt base which ensures a tight fit to both planes of the seat.

I know we bought it about 4 years ago from Mothercare so I'm not sure if they still do the same design, might be worth a try though..

I have race harnesses but use the original inertia belt to secure the sprog-seat, it holds very securely.

Some good ear protection is a must too - though I'm sure you'll have considered this already.

The kids absolutely love it.

Carl,

I have used a Britax Eclipse car seat in my roadsport (not SV) using just the lap strap of the 4 point harnesses. This seat is designed to be held by either a diagonal belt or by a lap belt only (and we happened to have one already). This appears to be one of the few that fit.

Details here

This seat does put the child quite high and as the legs grow longer their feet tend to stray up behind the dash (fuel gauge, hazard switch etc). I have now moved to using a booster seat cushion.

Caterham recommended contacting Oxted Trimming (see LF ad) about making a taller base squab to go with the leather seats in my car. I ended up going to a local upholsterer and getting some stiff sofa base cushion foam and cutting it to fit tightly on top of the existing seat - this hardly deflects with the child sat on it. Motorsport 4 point belts adjust quite ok with the seat 3 or 4 clicks forwards.

If you need any more help or pics, e-mail me through the contact button.

Ian

I have been to baby r us, mothercare halfords and have not jet found any booster seat that fits.

The assistent at mothecare was v helpful we tried the smalers booster seat from Britax but it did not fit.

She has a porsche and had to get a porsche seat as the britax would not fit.

I think if you have the standered seats then a britax would fit.

The booster seats sold by Volvo are quite a bit narrower than the mothercare booster seats. I can't remember the cost but, as you would expect they were much dearer than Mothercare.

Robert

My son sits in a Britax Klippan (or something similar - the name has faded). I bought it from Halfords. My Seven is a 1989 car with standard leather seats -not the 'S-Type'. He has used it for 2 yrs - now 4yrs old. It has raised lugs either side, so the 4 point harness lap belts go under the lugs and hold it really securely, the shoulder belts really secure my son into the seat. Does that make sense? Anyway, it raises him high enough to be able to spot vehicles that he wants to overtake.

Best thing to do is take your car to a retailer and take the seats out to your car to see if they fit, the staff should understand your concern for a well fitted seat.

Hope you find something to make your son the envy of all the local toddlers 😬

Got the porsche seat this am. booster seat fits well but back dues not.

Booster seat £80 +vat + back for seat £50 +vat

Babiesrus Geco Booster seat £9 fits no back

Volvo Fits tillit seat could have been made for it £70 inc vat

I keeping the Volvo it the best of the ones i have found

Edited by - david 1664 on 10 Aug 2003 15:15:25

Many thanks to Graham Jung who visited me on Friday night with his daughter safely strapped into his Superlight R.

Although the web site had the Mothercare Dimension booster seat as discontinued, I was able to find one still hanging around in the Croydon Superstore this morning.

The seat fits lovely and this afternoon my son took his first proper trip out - to the showroom in Caterham. Upon his return I instructed him to tell his Mum that he wants an R300. *wink*

If anyone else is interested - Croydon have a handful of Dimensions still available. All the other booster seats seem to far exceed the 40cm dimension of the Caterham.

Once again many thanks to Graham, hope to see you out on a blat soon. *thumbup*

Carl Lawrence

South Godstone - Surrey

1600 VX Classic - W89 XGN

www.super7sprint.co.uk