Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cv joint clamp

debushau

I have to replace the clamp on the cv joint boot on one of the driveshafts of my Caterham. The original clamp appears to be a style that requires a crimp. From the local parts store, I have come up with something called a "band-it" that it applied with a special tool, the band is folded back and then the ears hammered down. I tried the "band-it" once but it's slimmer than the original and with all the grease, it's hard to put on straight. It didn't work very well.

Any recommendations on clamps - and the correct way to attach them? I wanted to avoid having to pull out the shaft, but if that's the only way I can reliably do this, I'll get out the impact gun for the big nut!

thanks,

Shane

I've struggled with that one several times.. 4 cars inna Family..:-) and currently all have CV's.

IF one chooses to use the "factory" Metal bands, then a Set of Pliers can be used to 'Squish' the clamp bit.. use a couple of nails, one placed in each indent then squeeze carefully.. works Fine...OR buy the proper Tool..

OR Simply use Zap Straps (quick Ties).. use 2 with the fastener at 180 degrees if Afraid/Cautious.

Have done so on two Saabs and a Honda, with several years use now with NO failures.. so Far :-)

I have seen the "stronger" tie raps with the stainless steel teeth - maybe it's work having a go at that, they're supposed to hold to 60 lb/ft. The replacement band-it clip I picked up is even more confusing than the first as it does not have the hammer down ears and I'm not entirely sure I have the right tool for it.

thanks,

Shane