Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tuning a FreeStyle ARB

Pierre Gillet

Pierre,

I had the 18mm dia ARB before and Len at Freestyle told me on the stiffest setting (blade vertical) their bar should be a bit stiffer than my old one, whereas softest setting should be quite a bit softer. This seems to be the case but hard to judge because I also fitted their track day springs and shocks which are also stiffer than my old ones.

Just fiddle and see what works for you. I have my front ARB on stiffest, rear midway (45°) on track days and wind up the shocks too, for the road I find about midway front, softest rear seems most comfortable.

Mike

Pierre,

18mm is stiff, but I think there might be one slightly stiffer from Caterham. I like the car quite level on corners (little body roll). Guess it's what suits your driving style - gives you lots of excuse to get out and test the settings...

Cheers,

Mike

Can't find my fitting instruction but I think it implied it was a tad stiffer than your orange - why not give Len a ring.

They are user friendly and advise is only a phone call away.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Our standard bar goes from slightly softer than the Caterham 1/2" to just over the standard 5/8th. We have done a stiffer bar for the supergrad race cars which goes from just under 5/8 th to 18mm. Now I have to admit that I was never sure of the colours as Caterham tell me that it has changed. I have now confirmed with them that this is the difinitive list.

Orange 3/8 and 1/2

Blue 9/16

Red 5/8

Green 18mm

Purple 19mm.

Edited by - Len Unwin on 24 Jun 2003 09:56:33

Len,

Does the colour coding relate to the colour of the bushes? My old 18mm front ARB had orange bushes which seems odd. Certainly your unit at its stiffest setting seems a bit stiffer than the old Caterham unit.

Mike

Griff, I was always confused with the colours which is why I always quote bar size. The colours do refer to the bushes so your orange ones on 18 mm tends to confirm that they have changed. Caterham could not say if they had but that list is the current spec.