Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aftermarket exhaust/Standard ECU

Tony C

I'm about to have an EBD manifold made and fitted with a nice straight through stainless silencer.

Will it be necessary for me to do anything "magic" with the standard Rover ECU or will it automatically compensate for the increased breathability?

I understand that standing on one leg and rotating three times while clucking like a chicken sometimes helps 😬

BRG SV 😬

I don't think it will be able to compensate at all since it has no way of remapping itself and therefore I suspect your manifold and system won't be properly optimised to your motor.

It is my strong belief that you should call Emerald tomorrow with your credit card details 😬

My car picked up 19bhp with the change to Emerald and a just a Raceco silencer, never mind a complete manifold!!!! (!)

See what you're saying Julian, but my understanding of an ECU is that it is constantly monitoring various parameters in the engine. In the case of the exhaust it's getting the feed from the lambda probe and will then alter the fueling and ignition - maybe - to TRY to give the required exhaust gas values.

I was thinking more along the lines of resetting the ECU to zero, as it were, so that it could start to "learn" about the new breathing and exhaust gas values.

BTW Julian, thanks for all the info. on your website, it was of great value during my build - top man *thumbup*

Cheers,

Tony

BRG SV 😬

Tony,

It really does depend on your engine. If you have a VHPD then the MEMS unit is not optimised and gains such as those seen by Julian will be commonplace.

If you have a standard or SS engine, the MEMS will *easily* cope with an aftermarket exhaust. It did on mine.

Tom

I am about to buy a "standard" SLR, with regular ECU and 4-2-1 exhaust. I thought I might have to get a new silencer (Raceco perhaps) for noise reasons, but also wondered if an Emerald would be either needed or a way of liberating extra power / liberating the exhaust. I haven't really followed these threads before, but I have some recollection there could be some reasonable value upgrades out there!

All ideas on benefits (power and drivability) and associated price welcome.

James

Thanks for all the input guys.

I agree and can see the logic that an aftermarket ECU, such as an Emerald, can be mapped and adjusted to optimise the engine output - whatever mods are done.

I have a standard 1.8 140 bhp K-Series. Reading the tech. info' on the Emerald website today leads me to belive that the standard ECU can cope with small changes in engine tune, such as an aftermarket exhaust, in steady state conditions and can "learn" a drivers habits and individual engine peculiarities and over time will adjust its map to apply the best it can. I think the value of an aftermarket ECU is that every perameter of its maps can be adjusted to optimise engine output to take full advantage of serious engine modifications.

As nobody has so far mentioned anything about a need to "reset" the standard ECU after fitting an aftermarket exhaust system- I guess I'll be able to just fire it up and go without having to worry about the ECU not being able to give me enough fuel.

BRG SV 😬

Tony - I have a 1.6Ss with an aftermarket exhaust on the original ECU (never reset) and have had no problems on road or track for the last 12 months... the fitting of the exhaust gave a noticable umphh increase (very techincal I know) 😬

I cannot see any reason why you should have a proplem with your ECU

Howeever I will soon have an emerald (next week) for additional umphhh 😬

rob *smile*