Click here if you are having website access problems ×

brake light failure

Miff

both brake lights have stopped working! i am in the process of trying to diagnose the fault in order to get them back so i can go to work tomorrow but thought a quick post may help if i'm still under the car at midnight!

both bulbs are ok, as are all the other lights and electricals.

anyone know any points along the wiring loom that are prone to wear etc and may have failed?

have you taken the brake switch apart? mine became more flaky, and you pry open carefully one of the tabs. there's 3 parts, take some fine sandpaper to the contacts , and put it back together .

works a treat. very common problem ... *mad*

Steve

210Bhp Sinister Version-VHPD here

Have you checked the fuse? top one IIRC also feeds the reversing light so if that doesn't work then that's your problem.

If not it may be the switch has beocme misaligned or failed. It's in the pedal box so remove the cover, join the two wires together with the ignition on, if the lights come on the switch is the problem. As you press the pedal the tab should move away from the switch allowing the switch plunger to come out, if it doesn't adjust it, if it does and the lights still don't work you probably need a new switch although sometimes a liberal soaking of WD40 will entice it into working again for a while

Mark

sorted!

it was the switch, it seemed to stick in the open postition and failed to close the circuit, a bit of playing around with it seems to have resolved the problem, will have a closer look in the daylight when i get a chance.

thanks

*smile*

I've had the switch sticking in too - definitely worth taking it apart in daylight and giving it a good clean, contacts as well. As Steve says above, carefully push one of the tabs... there's a spring inside ready to jump out!!!

Jon

it's so easy to save a fiver now I've done it once. i noticed black corrosion on one of the removable contact thingies that comes out when the spring comes out. i took sandpaper to it, and shined it up. will add a bit of sand paper to spare parts box I carry now.

very quick, 10 minute fix.

Steve

210Bhp Sinister Version-VHPD here