Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spax to bilstein

eric

I want to get rid of the trunnion

So Caterham can supply a bespoke kit

Half link + 4 wishbones + 2 uprights without trunnion + 2 anti roll bar + 4 Bilstein and springs

What do you think I must use for :

springs rate and anti roll bar dimension

I don't like much soft car with body roll

Thank you for your help

eric

A friend of mine in Sweden has this conversion in a 1987 live (Ford) axle.

As for spring poundage it's a matter of taste. 280 - 310 perhaps. The stiffer springs the less stiff

ARB needed as rule of thumb. Rear perhaps 100 - 120.

What do you run on the rear? You want a nice balance.

My rough understanding is : Too stiff at the front will give less grip and understeer. Too stiff on the rear will give less grip and oversteer, Soft rear - more rear grip = more understeer. Soft front - more front grip = less understeer and more oversteer. Hence the balance is important.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Bare,

why do you say Bilstieins are nasty? They are an extremely good quality damper for a mass production unit. Thus offering the performance close to limited run race dampers at reasonable prices.

The ones used on Caterham's are not adjustable and so give the Caterham owner less to play with.

This in some cases is not a bas thing. You can concentrate on other aspects of handling to good effect.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Steve,

quite agree with the coments about Bilsteins. My experience of spax and others has been that it's not so much a case of fully adjustable as one size fits all.

To demonstrate, the spax units I used on the old Locust rear suspension were sold as something like Volvo 340 front....even though it was a Triumphtune uprated/shortened damper for Triumph spifire. The weights and spring rates of the two vehicles must be massively different. But the same damper is used.

I only ever found one or two click settings to be anything like in the zone as the adjustment is quite coarse.

Much better to do some development with the damper people and arrive at a suitable valving for most circumstances.

Anyone who doubts that should back to back test a Westfield SEi ind a Roadsport and compare the degree of compliance/composure on an uneven b-road surface. (Runs for cover.......)

If however you want to spend £'000's on dampers......

Ian

Edited by - Mr Locust on 27 Apr 2003 11:27:29