Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting frustrated now!

Jonesy365

Morning all

How are people currently build finding it for missing parts?

I feel each thing I move onto there is something missing, been waiting for a missing fixing pack and some other bits for nearly 3 weeks!

Im missing my engine top hose that Caterham say was boxed and it’s 100% not been delivered. 

Now just gone to fit the radiator and the brackets I have don’t fit the radiator, looking at other people pictures and blogs mine are different for some reason and the mounting holes are completely wrong. 

I’ve always wanted to build a Caterham and it’s great that I’m getting the opportunity to but there not cheap bits of kit so you’d expect things to be right.

Rant over, needed to vent… hope all enjoying the lovely weather either building are blating around in your 7. 

Good morning

It's been recommended for many years to check the parts and packs in advance before they're needed. One week before has been suggested. But three weeks for delivery after notification would defeat the most meticulous planner.

: - (

Jonathan

13 minutes ago, Jonesy365 said:

Now just gone to fit the radiator and the brackets I have don’t fit the radiator, looking at other people pictures and blogs mine are different for some reason and the mounting holes are completely wrong. 

Have you found the discussions about making sure that there are no inappropriate loads on the radiator from the mounts or hoses? Many of us think that those loads are responsible for failure of radiators, and especially some modern aluminium radiators. 

I'll add some links if you haven't found them already.

Jonathan

50 minutes ago, Jonathan Kay said:

Have you found the discussions about making sure that there are no inappropriate loads on the radiator from the mounts or hoses? Many of us think that those loads are responsible for failure of radiators, and especially some modern aluminium radiators. 

I'll add some links if you haven't found them already.

Jonathan

Yes thank you had a read through them and some of the issues, when I get the correct brackets I’ll be super careful, cross my fingers and hope for the best. 

I had the same problem with the rad.

FWIW - building this car is much like the children's puzzle "Where's Waldo?" I was shipped the wrong radiator and the wrong radiator brackets. This in turn made me paranoid that "...everything is missing..."

HOWEVER, I calmed down, broke the cycle of "...oh...they forgot again..." and looked hard for parts. And found them.

The other thing that I figured out what that the "Assembly Guide" (it's no manual) is wrong and out dated. If you look on pages 151-152 at the knee pads for the cockpit, you'll see the RHS knee pad has a hole in it. Yet if you look at https://www.tiggercaterham.co.uk/search?q=knee

You'll see that CC now ships different parts.

I'm a few months ahead of you and agree with the frustration. CC moving is not helping any of us. And bags and boxes are in unexpected and in some ways illogical places. But most of the parts are someone. I just had to dig hard to find them.

One other trick I've used to find things. The "guide" will say you need a part and I have no idea what it looks like. I'll then go onto the CC parts web sight and enter that part name and then see it. For me, seeing what I am looking for made looking for that part easier. Happy scrounging.

1 hour ago, prisoner7 said:

One other trick I've used to find things. The "guide" will say you need a part and I have no idea what it looks like. I'll then go onto the CC parts web sight and enter that part name and then see it. For me, seeing what I am looking for made looking for that part easier.

Neat.

1 hour ago, prisoner7 said:

And bags and boxes are in unexpected and in some ways illogical places. But most of the parts are someone. I just had to dig hard to find them.

"Self-directed speech affects visual search performance":
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/figure/10.1080/17470218.2011.647039?scroll=top&needAccess=true

Jonathan

It might be a bit annoying but you have to remember they are currently undergoing the biggest site move since they left caterham itself. It’ll get sorted soon I’m sure 

When I built my live axle Seven back in 2002 there were numerous parts missing, including the rear axle. Sorting out the cooling system was interesting, Caterham appeared to have simply thrown a random assortment of pipes from various different models into the box!

Same here. I've been waiting for a SV radiator bracket for over 3 weeks. Luckily I had the other side so I knew what I was missing. In the end I ordered it  (at my cost) from the parts department who are very efficient and it arrived next day. Lucky there are other things to work on but not being able to install the rad is very frustrating. Clearly the move has been very disruptive for the build support service and I hope things get back on track soon.