Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine bay tool or jack storage.

Les R400

Has anyone seen any interesting or innovative, ways to store things in the engine bay of a seven? I have a standard series 3 K series engine. I am looking at ways to free space up in the boot, by storing a small selection of tools or the jack, posibly in front of the heater?

Thanks Jonathan It would be much appreciated if I could see some photos of what you have done, especially the jack and tool tube. Many Thanks for your reply Les

Posted (edited)

I used to use the excellent tool tubes that @Jonathan Kay organised as a Bulk Buy years ago but have removed them.

I repositioned the coolant header tank and fitted a Really Useful Box (painted black so invisible-ish… before I realised they can be bought in black!) fixed the the cruciform under the nose one.

The blue handle/clip is just about visible through the grille here:
IMG_1673.thumb.jpeg.a5a13d0983f524cf97f6a95dc85d57f6.jpeg

It contains a reasonably comprehensive selection of tools and bits, inc tyre weld, to prevent the use of my AA membership and credit card which I also always carry!

Edited by BigCol
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Les R400 said:

although you seem to have much more engine bay space than you get with a K series.

🤔
It’s a Sigma in a SV (Superior Version)!

It use to be called the Caterham FB at the factory. I will leave you to decide what that stood for!

I think I will  be able to slip an open tool roll down the back of my seat and use one of the top popers to fix it to. Thanks for your help cheers Les

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Les R400 said:

It use to be called the Caterham FB at the factory. I will leave you to decide what that stood for!

Given my parents were married and I’m not rotund… ‘king Brilliant?
🤔😳🤣🤣🤣

Edited by BigCol

Many Thanks for the photos Jonathan, unfortunately I can't fit the tool tube where you have done as I have a DVA power air box intake and filter in that location.

What you have done with the jack and wheel spanner is exactly the sort of idea I had. I am thinking of using the existing fixing pionts for the heater. change the screws to 5mm bolts and secure 4 heavy duty "D" rings to them. Reenforcing the bulkhead and the flat surface from underneath with big washers and nylocks.

Then using bungee cord in a cross over fasion to fix the jack and anything else in place. I think that will give me quick access without needing any tools to remove it. I will let you know how I get on and take some photos.

If you have any observations or concerns about this idea please let me know. Many Thanks again Les   

For those that don't have a heater I fitted a combined toolbox/jack on the engine bay shelf. This was fixed via 4 rivnuts into the shelf and further secured by 2 long bolts with penny washers through the bulkhead and rear of toolbox.

Toolbox.JPG

It would be nice to have the space for a tool box like that. But it is also nice to be warm on a dry winters day blat with my toasty heater on. Many Thanks for thje photos what a great job.

We attended our first car show this past Saturday. It had rained overnight and although the roads were drying up come morning it was still nippy and damp. A couple of minutes in the car with the hood up and the windows started to fog. The heated windshield cleared up right quick but the side windows took a couple of kilometers with the heater on. Had to take the bonnet off and force the cable back to shut the valve. I don’t know if it’s ever been used. Here in the Great White North a heater and heated windshield is needed if you wish to drive your seven more than 5 months of the year.

As for tool storage, I’d put things I would need for under the bonnet repairs like clutch or throttle cable repair/replacement under the bonnet. However, for tire repairs I would not want to have to remove the bonnet if I didn’t have to. Where do I put it to protect it from getting damaged? So the jack and handle etc. will stay in the boot. On my old 900 Ducati I have a couple of small zippered canvas bags that hang from the frame rails behind the seat panels. If I can find some bigger I’ll do similar in the engine bay. There is a small area in front of the heater that could be utilised but it would have to be removable as there is an access hole that anything there would cover.

The first photo shows the wife relaxing after cleaning all the mud of the car. the second shows the engine bay shelf area that might be used for tools and spare parts.

Linda and our Super 7.jpg

DSC_0039-scaled.jpg

• Area Representative
Posted (edited)

I have a K series and carry loads of tools and spares. I have fabricated a box out of aluminium that is secured in front of the heater using rivnuts. I use a Tupperware type sandwich box with tools and spares that drops inside it. On top of that I put my spare clutch and throttle cables and on top of them I put my bag that contains a jack, wheel brace, tow rope etc. All secured by stout bungee straps. Pics to illustrate. 

IMG_0341.jpeg

IMG_0342.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

Edited by paul richards
  • Like 1

• Area Representative

“However, for tire repairs I would not want to have to remove the bonnet if Ididn’t have to. Where do I put it to protect it. So the jack and handle etc. will stay in the boot.”

I used to keep spare cables in the boot until once on the way back from Le Mans my throttle cable snapped. With all the luggage in and on top of the boot it took longer to get to the cable than it did to fit it. You can keep your bonnet safe by putting it in the cockpit (front near the dash and rear over the roll bar). Or simply put it on a piece of grass if there is some nearby. 

Many Thanks Paul that is what I was thinking of doing, or something simular. For the time being I have fitted D rings to where the 5mm heater securing screws are on the bulkhead and shelf. I have changed the 5mm screws for 5 mm stainless bolts. I have then used bungee cords and some foam to fix the jack,handle and wheel brace in front of the heater. when I am back from touring with the car this summer I will fabricate the alli box simular to yours. ( I hadn't thought of over hanging it closer to the distributor, good idea). 

Many thanks again for your response and photos. Cheers Les