Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed Sensor gear moving on driveshaft

Hello, rookie caterham-owner from Germany here, please be gentle... 😉

Today the speedo on my 275s started working intermittently. After some troubleshooting I noticed, that the speed sensor gear on the right driveshaft had moved about 3-5mm towards the diff, causing the sensor not being able to "see" the teeth. I pried the gear back in place and everything was back to normal, however I'm wondering if there is anything to prevent this from happening again?

IMG_3511.jpeg

I had exactly the same Andreas - the ring isn’t rigidly fixed.

I “moved” mine back (some precision tapping with a hammer/screwdriver) and then used epoxy adhesive to hold it in place.  It has been fine since.

That said, it was whilst my diff was being worked on, so the driveshaft was on the bench and everything easily accessible.  I don’t know how easy it would be with the driveshaft in situ.  🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

Evening Andreas,

Mine did exactly what yours has done, migrated towards the bolts.It was an easy fix.

All you have to do is move the reluctor ring so you can properly clean the mating surface where it should seat by removing any corrosion or road dirt to give you a nice clean surface.

Then try your best to clean the inside face of the ring if possible, I used isopropyl alcohol on all surfaces to remove any grease or left over residue from cleaning.

Use some stud locker on the surfaces and the tap the ring back into position rotating the driveshaft to ensure it is perfectly inline with the sensor and has no wobble as you rotate the driveshaft.

leave for the stud lock to go off, then enjoy blatting with a speedometer again.
 *thumb_up*
I hope this sorts your problem.

Ralph