Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo calibration.

Mike Terry

Hi,

I have a 2003 Caterham with 1800 K series and a 5 speed type 9 Ford box.

My speedo is vintage 2002 and not programmable.

Now on 13” rims my speedo speed can be well under my satnav speed.

I have been in contact with Caerbont Automotive and identified a replacement.

The calibration instructions I have been given are:

On a prop shaft: - Calibration number = (wheel revs per mile/Km) x (diff ratio) x (number of magnets or bolts).

I have a cable drive off the gearbox but at some stage this mechanical measurement gets converted into an electric signal. This is fed into the speedo via an 8 pin plug.

I am ok with the first two parts but when is states – ‘number of magnets or bolts’ what does it mean and where would I look?

Cheers

Mike

I'm not sure what you've got... the Speedometer Guide.

9 minutes ago, Mike Terry said:

I have a cable drive off the gearbox but at some stage this mechanical measurement gets converted into an electric signal. This is fed into the speedo via an 8 pin plug.

There are several adapters that fit into a Type 9 gearbox that gives an electrical output. Do you have something that looks like this? Photos, please.

REVT9-A_Speedo_Adaptor2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mike Terry said:

I am ok with the first two parts but when is states – ‘number of magnets or bolts’ what does it mean and where would I look?

That would apply to a set-up where the signal is taken from a wheel or a driveshaft, as documented in the Guide. But not to one where it's taken from the gearbox. 

Jonathan

Yes I have with what looks like a heavy metal cylinder about 30mm in length with wires attached. Ok, so that is where mechanical motion is converted into electrical. From a distance, that does not look easy to get at and not something easy to take apart to check magnet? 

14 minutes ago, Mike Terry said:

Yes I have with what looks like a heavy metal cylinder about 30mm in length with wires attached. Ok, so that is where mechanical motion is converted into electrical. From a distance, that does not look easy to get at and not something easy to take apart to check magnet? 

I think that access/removal/refitting will be the same as with the original mechanical right-angled cable drive... tight but possible. You can increase clearance by slackening the gearbox mount and yanking the tail to one side.

But do you need to do that, or only to change the calibration? That might be possible at the instrument rather than the sender.

Could you add some photos of the face and rear of the instrument. That should allow someone to identify how it can be recalibrated.

Jonathan

PS: The easiest way to establish true speed is now with a GPS device/ app on a smart 'phone rather than with measured distances on the road.

35 minutes ago, Mike Terry said:

Sounds like a hall effect speed sensor. Where is it located on the car? Can you post a picture? 

44 minutes ago, Mike Terry said:

Ah... I assumed that was describing what's attached at the gearbox where the right-angled drive usually connects. Where is this?

Jonathan