Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Floppy Half Hood - SV

Britspud

Hi All - Happy Easter to everyone ... anticipating that squeezing into my Caterham will become even more challenging by end of Monday. Good Job I went for the SV 😉

So question; I bought a genuine Caterham vinyl half hood. I've installed it as instructed and when it's on it gives a nice shape and seems taught. Now I've not driven the car yet because the build is still in progress, but it does seem very floppy ... I can run my hand over it and it bows a lot. Which makes me think it'll be a flapping nightmare when underway. I've done it up tight as I feel safe to do. Feels like it needs to the hood sticks, even though I know it doesn't! Is this normal?

F9805FDC-FC80-43F7-836C-AF135463DA0C_1_105_c.jpeg.2d91e3d4470ae433c98441df0b9581d1.jpeg

• Leadership Team

Mine (S3) is similar to your description. It does stay secure (well it’s not blown off yet) but at speed it doesn’t inspire confidence!

The front tension is of course provided by the screen which makes me nervous about over tightening. Mine fits snuggly over the roll bar but even so there’s a limit to how tight I’ll draw the rear centre straps. The side straps are not an issue.

Up to around 65mph mine has a gentle downward pressure on the hood, above that speed it inflates from below which tends to cause a clenching of the nether regions and breathing stops in anticipation of the inevitable.

Certainly compared to the full hood it’s compromised, you’ll get soaked in a heavy downpour and it doesn’t feel as secure at speed. It’s massively more convenient though to fit and remove.

Stu.

• Like 1

mine flew off the windscreen and flapped around the back of the car whilst I worked out what had just happened. Caterham had used the wrong poppers, fixed by a quick visit to Oxted.

The fit is as you described, floppy and a bow. But it stays on now tested to 70mph.

• Like 1

• Area Representative

My half hood is from Soft Bits. No real problems but does blow up a little when in gale force winds (Scotland) and at 100mph+ (Germany).

• Like 1

• Area Representative

My vinyl half hood is from Thundersport. Now at least ten years old & as tight as a drum with no sagging or flapping when pushing on.

• Like 1

I have the exact same half hood on my SV and it is fine. To be honest, I don't really like driving with it on but it is a whole lot better than the full hood even in heavy rain. You have to kept that the swirl makes your left shoulder wet but otherwise it works OK and the floppiness is drowned out by the noise of the spray, the exhaust and the ends of the wiper blades hitting the leading edge of the hood! Top tip, make sure you trim the blade ends they miss it.

Enjoy your build, it's looking good

• Like 1