Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Headlight assembly

CO2MAX

I commenced my 420S build in January and, amazingly for someone with no previous automotive or engineering experience, I’ve made it through the first month without seeking help here😂 However, I have a bit of an issue with one of my LED stainless headlamps. I removed the two retaining screws on each lamp but, having done so, one of the bowls was more difficult to separate than the other. As I was successful after a bit of wiggling, I thought nothing more of it and proceeded with wiring in the indicator, applying heat shrink and threading through the indicator pod and mounting arm. I can't however get the two parts of the bowl to re-engage fully (photo 1) On examination of the chrome rim of the lens there are flattened areas adjacent to the screw holes and the inner part of the rim here is lifted upwards and inwards (photo 2). Can anyone think of a way to remedy this without damaging the chrome or is my best bet to disassemble the headlight wiring and return it to Caterham for repair/replacement? (I have asked the same question of Lee at Caterham but thought I’d try here while I wait for a response).

Cheers, Craig.

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

From the numerous times I’ve taken my headlights out I found that if the headlight clips are not in the right places it can make it difficult/impossible to close properly. Even once they were in the right places those “nubbins” you have circled did provide enough resistance to provide an audible “pop” when enough pressure was applied to close the parts together.  

• Like 1

Cheers Pete, it’s good to know that perfect alignment and some force may be required. I’ll have another wiggle with them but I really couldn’t get any more purchase out my hands/fingers (and they’re not the weakest).

I'm two weeks into my 420R build and have just finished the headlights. I do remember they were difficult to close and needed the top edge to engage first and also careful alignment where the screw holes were going to end up (as difficult to rotate after)  then firm pressure at the bottom and they clipped shut. Hope that helps.

• Like 1