Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon ZZR vs ZZS tyres on track - differences?

JAL73

I have been using Avon ZZS tyres on my car for road and track use, summer and winter.

I thought the ZZS tyres were pretty good on track but Im curious to know how much better the ZZR tyre is on track? 

Anyone driven both on track who can share insights on comparisons?

I presume the ZZR are pretty lethal on cold/damp roads and to be avoided for winter road driving?

i guess there will be some unsold stock of ZZRs floating around.

Either way just keen understand how much better performance the ZZRs offer under warm, dry conditions flat out driving

14 hours ago, JAL73 said:

I presume the ZZR are pretty lethal on cold/damp roads and to be avoided for winter road driving?

Having tried road use for  500ish miles Nov/Dec time, personally I would describe them as either interesting or buttock clenching! (depending on whether you’re a  half full or half empty glass person) 😂  

OverallI I found them too unpredictable.and a liability so swapped to ZZS before my skill/luck ran out.!

ZZR about a second quicker in my experience. In terms of durability, the ZZR surprisingly don't seem to wear much quicker. The ZZS developed "chunking" on the edge of tread blocks up front, while the ZZR are not at all so the ZZR holding up better up front actually. ZZS is definitely no slouch on track though, I was surprised how well it performed. 

Thats interesting, I was thinking about getting a second set of Apollo 13s shod in ZZR for trackdays/summer but it sounds like it would be a bit of a waste of money for such a marginal performance gain over my existing ZZS.

Was hoping someone would tell me ZZR would really come to life on track and justify my upgraditis tendencies...

If it’s just 1-2 seconds a lap, then i suspect the money is better spent on tuition and improving my driving skills.

Am sure Lewis Hamilton would be faster around Anglesey on a dog eared set of ZZS than I would be on a fresh set of ZZR for example, though appreciate that’s a bit of a wierd comparison…

I keep wondering about these AO52s. Available in 13” 185/205, 14” and 15”.

https://www.northamptonmotorsport.com/product-category/yokohama-tyres-northampon-motorsport/yokohama-advan-a052-tyres/

They would raise the car height 1cm compared to ZZS but at least the front and rear heights would increase by the same amount. 

Edited by StevehS3

• Area Representative

What is happening to Avon tyres now? I know the Melksham factory closed which is very sad, but are ZZRs & ZZSs being made elsewhere by Avon or is that it - no more?

35 minutes ago, Nick Bassett said:

What is happening to Avon tyres now? I know the Melksham factory closed which is very sad, but are ZZRs & ZZSs being made elsewhere by Avon or is that it - no more?

Latest information is in that thread. And it's in the questions for the Club session with Caterham next week.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

Can anybody share what size R888rs they are fitting in place of ZZR/ZZS for 13inch staggered wheels? I'm in need to tyres and was a little late to the party about Avon stopping production...🤦‍♂️

6 hours ago, Tigs said:

Can anybody share what size R888rs they are fitting in place of ZZR/ZZS for 13inch staggered wheels? I'm in need to tyres and was a little late to the party about Avon stopping production...🤦‍♂️

If I go the R888R route I think I will change the rear wheels to 6” and go 205 rears with 185s on the front. Both 60 profile. Perfect sizing for my 310R.