Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drexler LSD feedback

Benton

• Area Representative

I know that Solent 7s AR Andy Golden has one fitted to his R400D and from the conversation I had with him it is considered a fit and forget option. Not sure how it performs mind🤔

I fitted a Drexler in my 2014 Roadsport 175 just over 12 months ago now.  I did a fair bit of soul searching on what diff to use, my car is mostly a road car but when i get the chance i will track it.  The Titan LSD that was factory fitted in my BMW 168? diff had lost all it's preload when i got the car at 13000 klms.  I did not want to have to remove the diff every couple of years for maintenance so i went with RRT's advice and got them to source and set up the Drexler for me. 

When i first fitted it I thought i wasn't going to be able to live with it, it seemed tight and didn't want to release  when it locked up without clunking.  Now the car has done 5000 klm's on the diff and it has smoothed out and is not noticeable, until i do something silly.  I would without doubt specify a Drexler for any future Caterham i buy.  The major down side is the cost, I could have had a Tracksport for half the cost of the Drexler.  The Drexler diff's are apparently specified for BMW endurance race cars and are considered virtually indestructible, well strong anyway.

That's my 2 cents spent on the matter.

Cheers

As Neil (7 wonders) says the Tracsport is proving very good. Nigel B now has best part of 20k miles on his and there are a lot of 7s using them with no issues being reported as far as I’m aware.

I’ve done about 6k and the preload is still what it was when new.  It’s also been silent and clunk free since the beginning and I think that’s the same for everyone. (Mine was the first installed in a BMW diff I believe, August ‘20)
In September 21 Steve Perks told me he had more than 100 Tracsports on the road, there must be many more by now.  
I’m sure the Drexler is fine but for twice the cost of a Tracsport? Why would you? 

• Area Representative

While carrying out the annual service checked my Tracsport LSD. Fitted October 2020 over 7000 miles accrued, mag plug clean, oil in good condition (changed October 2023) & pre load break out 25 ft/lbs. Still eerily quiet. 

Edited by Geoff Brown