Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1983 Caterham BDR - (Cosworth engine nr. BDR001)

Adam_Chovanak

Looking for information on a 1983 Caterham Super 7 BDR 1600 I purchased last week. Chassis LCS4268BDRM / engine nr. BDR001.

With an engine number like that, would appear to be the first Caterham Cosworth BDR. Can anyone corroborate?  Do the club or Caterham have access to archival records - for a fee?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the shabby photos).

Adam in Seattle

161567BC-BD43-48DB-935D-B4D6EEBDBE40.thumb.jpeg.e9ad407649c3546feda01893a7eebaed.jpeg

772ADB73-44A5-40EB-A75B-38E7D5F225D4.jpeg

95B02364-D089-4520-A38F-416995F6EB25.jpeg

Edited by Adam_Chovanak
remove HTML image links (didnt work)
  • Like 1

definitely looks like a 1600 BDR motor.  Engine number will be stamped on the back of the block.

That VIN matches the one published in Chris Rees's book for the first BDR engined car, but I'm always suspect of those plates.  Check the VIN number stamped on the chassis.

Unrelated, I think I bought a CBR250R (MC19) from you a while back.  Small world.

BDR090.jpg.70cd33b84ccc5c2f34ced2ef382faff6.jpg

fascinating.  Would it originally have had cycle wings?  I would have thought not.

Also how does the ignition work with two coils direct to the plugs?  A wasted-spark distributor-less arrangement, but how triggered?

What I was thinking is that the flared wings appeared for the Lotus S2s and were predominant by the time the S4 had been done and Caterham started with the S3.

The cycle wings seemed to get a resurgence in 1984 as part of the TUV certification for Germany.  Then some time after that (not sure when) the cycle wings made a proper comeback for the 90s and flares all but died (clearly can't do widetrack with flares).

• Leadership Team

Hi Adam - Caterham Archivist here. Car with this chassis number and engine BDR001 was supplied to Caterham's Japanese agent in 1984, with correspondence from the agent regarding the order describing is 'of a trial manufacture'. Please contact me at martin.phipps@caterham.com for further information.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MartinPhipps said:

Please contact me at martin.phipps@caterham.com for further information.

Thank you, Martin. I will contact you tomorrow via email. 

I just got confirmation my exporter didn’t cancel the existing license & I’ll be able to use in Japan when there next week. But no specific knowledge about the prior ownership history. 

Adam