Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Imperial chassis tall roll cage

jody391

More space above your head, or do you mean more access space? 

If the latter, then I am replacing my 'Track Day' roll cage with an SLR cage. I bought the Track Day cage from Caterham last year, brand new, and was only on the car for 3 months over the summer. Caterham doesn't stock (or even list) Imperial versions of this cage so I had to have it specially manufactured, which took 5 months.

I'd like £950 for it as they're over £1,200 new and mine is as new. 

IMG_7344.JPG

IMG_7345.JPG

That’s what I have.

its more space above the head if I can get some.

i have adjusted the seat as far down and forward i can go, but when i heard about the tall man i thought i would ask.

IMG_3602.jpeg

I’m fairly certain that the very early dedions had the rod type rear shock fixing and the cages had a footplate the shocks passed through (like the live axles). The later ones with the eye style shocks had 1/2”UNF threaded bosses in the end of the cage tube and need a thin headed bolt to fix them in.

I did once buy a second hand tall double D cage that fitted inside the screen and doors. It was properly stickered up for motorsport so an officially manufactured item. It did seem even taller than my Safety Devices tall cage so I didnt end up fitting it

I’m 6’1” and have a lowered floor and tall cage and have lots of clearance.

Anything tall for imperial cars - FIA bars / cages for DeDion and Live Axle chassis’s are quite rare now. I also have a tall FIA bar for mine.

Edited by Wrightpayne

Mines a 2005 ex academy car with the drivers floor lowered.

I think I will stick to this cage if its not straight forward.

I have made lower brackets and moved all down and as far forward as possible on both seats, my only last adjustment is the last furthest away boss for the pedals but I was un sure on the setup for the clutch cable.

48 minutes ago, jody391 said:

Mines a 2005 ex academy car with the drivers floor lowered.

I think I will stick to this cage if its not straight forward.

I have made lower brackets and moved all down and as far forward as possible on both seats, my only last adjustment is the last furthest away boss for the pedals but I was un sure on the setup for the clutch cable.

Chuck away the brackets and use exhaust bobbins to fix your seat to the floor - that will likely lower it further. 

I tried many methods of lowering the seat, including bolting it directly to the floor without anything underneath it bar 1 of the black plastic Tillett spacers (which was the very lowest I got it - and far too low for me). Exhaust bobbins are very cheap, and widely available on eBay, and come in a large variety of sizes (depths) so you can buy several and mess about with them until you find your ideal position. I use taller ones at the front and short ones at the rear.