Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to make solder stick

Gridgway

I am fitting a new fuel sender and it's one of the generic types that you have to bend and cut the two parts of the arm to length.  There are little clips to hold the metal arms together for you to solder the two bits.  I'm not a super expert at soldering, but I have been doing it for many years.  The solder sticks to one of the parts of the arm and the clips,, but not the other.

I cleaned and degreased before starting.  I have tested the offcuts and one piece is fine and the other is just no go.  I'm using electrical solder.  I even dug out my ancient pot of Bakers flux and it made no difference.  You can see that the two halves are different metals.  I wonder if one is coated/dipped in some way.  I might abraid the errant piece more to get any coating off.

All ideas welcome.  Sorry the pic is not in focus very well, but it gives the idea.  It's the arm attached to the sender which is proving intransigent. 

IMG20231230105212.jpg

• Area Representative

Graham,

Does the solder actually melt on the offending part? Id not, it may be that you're not actually getting that part hot enough? What sort of power is your soldering iron? The iron needs to be able to heat the work piece, and then solder melt on the work piece rather than the iron.

• Like 1

As above you’ll need sufficient heat. By all means try abrasive on the offending piece.
As an alternative suggestion you could try stripping some electrical cable, wrap the bare wire tightly around the parts to be joined and apply solder to the wire etc.

Used to do this when soldering piano wire together to make model aircraft undercarriages to reinforce the joint 😀

7 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

Gridgeway - I have a lot of old flux cored solder from when my father used to repair telephone exchanges (ex GPO!)

I’m happy to post you some for next time though I might need you to sign a health and safety disclaimer! 🙂 

Ian

Ian that would be fantastic and very generous.  Thanks.  Shall I message you my address?