Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Not starting 7 (been sat for a while)

nic.day

I have a friend who has a 7 and has not used it for quite a while. He is trying to re commission it and get it started again.

I am defiantly not the person to help on all things electrical. Anyway, he sent me this to ask you fine lot for some suggestions.

The car was working fine (although it has had very little use), but now won’t start. We have power, starter motor sounds fine the only immediate different is that I can’t hear the petrol pump priming. Research has told me to disconnect the wires leading to the fuel pump, so using the brown and blue wires I’ve hooked them up directly to a battery (blue to the negative and brown to the positive) and still can’t hear the fuel pump doing anything. Is it safe to say the fuel pump is dead or have I tested it wrong? On a side note, the fuel idle valve (I think that’s what it’s called, attached to the side of the air intake plenum, again, what I think it’s called), is making a strange noise with just the ignition on, not sure if that’s connected? But the fact the fuel pump won’t even make a noise when connected to a battery makes me think that’s the issue

1. Measure battery voltage at rest and minimum during cranking. Check battery fluid levels if appropriate and top up if needed.
  2. Yes, fuel pump should run and make a noise when disconnected from everything else and connected to a battery, just two wires. Check voltage across it while this test is being performed.
  3. Give the air intake a squirt of diethyl ether and see if the engine fires. Halfords stock Bradex Easy Start, NB Club discount.
  4. Join Club.

This work-up hangs almost everything on the fuel pump. It's also worth getting ready to check:

1. Inertia switch.
  2. Immobiliser.
  3. Bad electrical connections.
  4. Fuel pump fuse.
  5. Old fuel.

Jonathan

How long has it stood for?  This was the state of my in-tank fuel pump after the car had been sat for years with old fuel while laid up...

20220319_153806.thumb.jpg.8e5055e11ed87d9c35a7f2be0856fae5.jpg

That gunk is not corrosion, it's the stuff that precipitates out of old fuel.  It wiped off with a kitchen towel, but had gunked up in the pump.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1