Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nankang AR-1 or Toyo R888R for 13x6 wheels on a 16K SS?

JP

As above really.  I need new sets of tyres for my 13" rims and my 14"s.  The 13s are for summer and track days.  Currently on old R888s, which have cracked while the car was standing for the last few years.  I don't think R888s are available anymore so I guess its a choice of the above 2 tyres. 

I guess I'll stick with 185/60s, but would welcome comments about going to 205 at the rear - I think both tyres will work on a 6" rim in 205?

Also any recommendations for compounds - I think only the Toyo has compound options in 13"?

I would be grateful for any recommendations.

The AR-1s have quite a bit more grip in the dry than the R888s and from the tests I have seen, the R888Rs too. They work very well on track days on my car, I’m running the 185/60-13 AR-1s on the front 6” wheels and 235/45-13 on the rear 8” wheels. The 205/60-13 should be fine on the rear 6” wheels. If you drive a lot in the wet, they aren’t the best choice.

• Like 1

Thank you.  I'll use the car year round and for winter I have my original set of 14s, which currently have (legal) 021Rs, which I guess I'll change for rainexperts when the time comes.  The 13s are for summer and track days - I anticipate wet weather driving will be rare on these...

40 minutes ago, Matthew Willoughby said:

I tested both of these tyres back to back on circuit last year.  The Nankangs felt like they offered loads more grip but, surprisingly, the lap times were no better than the R888R.

In the end we went with the Toyos because they are significantly lighter and offered better performance in the wet.

What pressures were you running the AR-1s at Matthew? I have found that to optimise the grip and even the wear on the tread, you have to go to a higher than normal pressure expected on a Caterham with them. I have gone as low as 14PSI cold (19PSI hot) and as high as 24PSI cold, but 21PSI cold (26PSI hot) seems to give the best grip and tyre life. https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/products/motorsport/ar-1/

• 5 months later...
On 01/12/2023 at 01:32, aerobod - near CYYC said:

The AR-1s have quite a bit more grip in the dry than the R888s and from the tests I have seen, the R888Rs too. They work very well on track days on my car, I’m running the 185/60-13 AR-1s on the front 6” wheels and 235/45-13 on the rear 8” wheels. The 205/60-13 should be fine on the rear 6” wheels. If you drive a lot in the wet, they aren’t the best choice.

Interesting choice. With Nankang there’s option to run the 45 profile fronts to match the rears or 60 profile rears to match the fronts…why mix? Cheers

1 hour ago, J888PRB said:

Interesting choice. With Nankang there’s option to run the 45 profile fronts to match the rears or 60 profile rears to match the fronts…why mix? Cheers

In 13" size there are only 175-50-13, 185/60-13, 205/60 and 235/45-13 available. With 8" wide rear wheels and 250bhp+, 235/45-13 is the only size that is certified for the rim width and will give the required traction out of full throttle corners. 185/60-13 on 6" wide front wheels is the widest size to fit under the standard wings and stays and is closest in diameter to the 235/45-13 rears.

For track use, it is a good combination. I'm now on my 3rd set of them.

21 hours ago, aerobod - near CYYC said:

In 13" size there are only 175-50-13, 185/60-13, 205/60 and 235/45-13 available. With 8" wide rear wheels and 250bhp+, 235/45-13 is the only size that is certified for the rim width and will give the required traction out of full throttle corners. 185/60-13 on 6" wide front wheels is the widest size to fit under the standard wings and stays and is closest in diameter to the 235/45-13 rears.

For track use, it is a good combination. I'm now on my 3rd set of them.

Thanks for response. Understand. I had been thinking about going with the 175/45 front and 235/45 rear - arguably so i didnt have to mess with my ride heights to counter the rake change from the Avon set up and i havent enjoyed the higher 60 profile on the toyo i inherited on my second set of wheels. appreciate your feedback with the way you have gone and good to hear they go well on track.