Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Flywheel

Devine 7

Can anyone tell me if the R300, R400 and R500 all used the same flywheel and was it the standard flywheel from  1600K, or something a bit more special, i.e. a lightened and balanced standard flywheel or something machined from billet?

Edited by Devine 7
Spelling error + Added text

The 1.6/1.8 standard Caterham flywheel is Rover part number PSD102170. The production Rover cars with the 1.8 engine used a different gearbox and larger flywheel which doesnt fit the Caterham.

Purely speculating, I expect the production flywheel is cast iron and the R500 flywheel is steel. As you remove material, the metal needs to be stronger to stop it disintegrating! 

• Area Representative

'pretty sure the Superlight, SLR, R300, & R400 were fitted with the upgrade light flywheel as standard, and the R500 was supplied with a slightly lighter flywheel again.

As Ian says, its not simply a lightened standard flywheel, but a replacement made from better material with light weight in mind when being designed.

1 hour ago, Richard Price said:

'pretty sure the Superlight, SLR, R300, & R400 were fitted with the upgrade light flywheel as standard, and the R500 was supplied with a slightly lighter flywheel again.

As Ian says, its not simply a lightened standard flywheel, but a replacement made from better material with light weight in mind when being designed.

Thanks Richard,     so hypothetically, if I was planning to increase the power of a standard 1.8 using the conventional route of: fully forged bottom end ( Pistons, Rods and a  Machined from billet crank) fully ported/big valve head (blanked off VVC type) 4x SF48 ITB's with Velocity Stacks etc etc...... the Flywheel from a Superlight R would be up to the job? 

5 hours ago, Devine 7 said:

Thanks Richard,     so hypothetically, if I was planning to increase the power of a standard 1.8 using the conventional route of: fully forged bottom end ( Pistons, Rods and a  Machined from billet crank) fully ported/big valve head (blanked off VVC type) 4x SF48 ITB's with Velocity Stacks etc etc...... the Flywheel from a Superlight R would be up to the job? 

I’d say that if you are shooting for less than 8500 /220BHP then a steel crank would not be a necessity, the R400 had a standard 1800 crankshaft. You may also find that the K series Direct to Head throttle bodies are a better choice than SFs and will be easier to commission. 

TTV do indeed make excellent flywheels, I have used a number of them with zero issues.

Oily