Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Imperial/Metric fittings, what's your approach?

Gridgway

For my 85 home built bitsa BDR it's a huge mix of imperial and metric nuts and bolts.  Are there any resources about the major components and what should be used?  And then similar with the ancillary fittings.  I know on the ancillaries bolted through things you can use what you like.  The builder and subsequent modifiers have used a lot of metric bolts.

As a side and probably very dull story, I was confused by a bizaare happening.  I wanted new k-nuts for my inlet manifold for the carb fitting (the PO  used a weight saving device of only 5 nuts for the 8 stud).  I thought for some reason that they were M8 rather than 5/16th unf.  I ordered them.  Then a mate said, no way they'll be 5/16th.  So I got to work with my metric thread gauge and easily found the studs were indeed imperial (imperial gauge on order).  Then I checked the nuts and they fitted a 5/16th unf test bolt and not an M8.  So the metric k-nuts I bought are imperial.

Thanks

If its a dedion the lower diff mounting bolts are ‘special’!!

They have a 1/2” imperial shank (to fit the chassis bush) and a metric thread to fit the Ford differential. They will be, I suspect, a machined / re-threaded 1/2” UNF bolt.

I found on a friends seven that the previous owner had fitted normal metric bolts giving about 1/2mm of play in the bush. Obviously the clamping force would have contained this to some extent but not ideal when you’re pushing well over 200hp through the 8” rears!

There are also some specific thickness washers between the brake caliper and  front upright (I think they are referred to as ‘pink’ in the manual) which fill a gap where the back plate would be clamped on the Triumph.

Ian

Edited by Wrightpayne
  • Like 1

I think I'll start a spreadsheet to record what I find.  I expect it's mainly all the ancillary bits that are metric.  Bolts to hold the coil on, the rev limiter box,, the facet pump, the (bolted) p-clips etc.  They are all too long as well!! Should I replace all of those with imperial or leave be I wonder?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anthonym said:

Oh. Mine’s dedion. I used stainless where possible, washers esp.my main tools were a bench wire brush, sandblasting cabinet and clear lacquer.

Hi Anthony, with stainless steel fasteners it is great to use them for low stress areas, but I assume you didn’t use them for high stress areas such as the suspension or engine mounts?

Standard unmarked stainless steel bolts are only around 500MPA, compared with the lowest strength normally used carbon/alloy steel 8.8 or Grade 5 bolts at 830MPA and the higher strength commonly available 12.9 or A574 bolts at 1220MPA. Even expensive and hard to obtain A4-80 stainless steel bolts are only 800MPA.

Edited by aerobod
  • Thanks 1