Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How long could / would it take to build a 7

Ainsley

22 minutes ago, rkeywood said:

Good news! We’re small scale jam, pickle and chutney makers and artisan bread and cake bakers. If any destitute 7 owners are in the Snetterton area they’re welcome to call by for freebies😀

Thank you rkeywood for your kind offer, sadly up in Lancashire or I would gladly have called in.  👍

I'm about 1/3 of the way through building my 7 (420 SV). I average 10 hours a week...

Two things are slowing me down...but making for a better build experience.

1. Pre fit everything. Tap out all holes. Hand tighten before torquing.

I'm mechanical enough, but this is at a level I've never gone to before. By "measuring twice, cutting once" when I do finish a step, I'm in good shape for the next step.

2. Read/study blogs.

I'm not sure which car you bought, but I have found the following blogs invaluable.

https://www.caterham7diaries.com

https://www.tiggercaterham.co.uk

https://caterham420detailedbuildblog.co.uk

And finally this - a friend how's an experienced mechanic said "...why rush, it will be there tomorrow.

Happy building.

Thanks for the reference prisoner7 - glad you found my blog helpful - and completely agree with your comments.

I didn't track my 420SV build to the hour but estimate I took over 200 hours. I did have a couple of component shortages but they didn't result in a delay. I enjoyed the build beyond measure and the satisfaction of DIY is great. Additionally, if you're not a car expert, the learning experience and confidence to look after your car in the future is well worth it. Would highly recommend it.

The registration process involves accumulating a lot of documents - proof of it being an amateur build, receipts for components (supplied by CC), IVA pass certificate, proof of identity, proof of address etc etc. Then the wait .... I had to chase mine quite hard and DVLA seem to be snowed under. I eventually found out that my registration documents had initially been routed to the wrong department and had been languishing for 4 weeks. Finally it was sent to the correct place and it was processed quite quickly.

• Area Representative

Depends on how quickly one wants to drive the car !

One could throw a car together in less than a week. Even quicker with two working on it. Get the numpties from TG in & you could do it in a day. That is if you do not drop it off axle stands......

I have built three cars. On average each one took about 130 hours over a period of three months during Winter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2023 at 16:34, Ainsley said:

I've ordered a 420 R.

I love the way Caterham's website lures you in with a price of £41,990 and then by the time you have finished with the Configurator you can easily add another £4,000.

Then I made that worse by visiting Premier Power.

I too have just finalised the spec and paid 2nd deposit for a 420R SV. I wish I could have resisted the options list to only £4k! 😲