Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant J hose routing query (1999 1.6 K-series)

JP

In my paper c1998 assembly guide, there are no specific instructions about routing the large diameter J hose that attaches to the thermostat housing and the submarine pipe.  However, in my electronic 2001 guide it specifies that the hose should be fitted to the thermostat housing and then rotated up so that the part of the hose that passes forward is as high and close to the engine block as possible.  The hose to the heater, therefore travels back underneath this hose.

I have reassembled as it was when stripped which was with the large J hose running underneath the heater hose.  To rotate the J hose up, would put the submarine pipe at an awkward downward angle, I think.

I'm now just going over the car doing final checks as ther build is almost done. Is there a potential issue here with coolant circulation that I'm missing?  Perhaps this was a revision for post 2001 cars and I should leave mine as is?

Can anyone shed any light?  Am I just looking for a problem that doesn't exist?

Jonathan, the electronic Assembly guide is the one you kindly emailed me many moons ago - the filename is "Assembly Guide (Issue 1).pdf".  Let me know if you need me to send it back.  This is from that electronic guide, first image at Page 79 of the PDF and the second figure is at page 84 of the PDF:

Capture1_1.JPG.8de9d1199e66f349bdc1135b9555a7ab.JPG

Capture2.JPG.100eeeeff8a656c0b3f9fcbfc7873798.JPG

This is from my paper Assembly Guide, which I believe is from around 1998 - it is not dated:

20231007_162040.thumb.JPG.a6c44473000e6d201c3dd861ae18b8b1.JPG

And a photo of my routing:

20230924_163313.thumb.JPG.961f19c89cb98a2a2a75488b098dc19b.JPG

• Leadership Team

The routing shown in the bottom photograph is the original routing for a non dry-sump K-Series, any air in that part of the system that hasn't existed via the submarine tube will find its way to the back of the thermostat and exit there. This is why it's important to drill a small hole in the upper face of the thermostat itself.

The routing above the heater/bypass hose is used on a dry-sump setup because the submarine tube needs to be higher to clear the scavenge pump belt. In this setup a different (longer center section) bottom radiator hose is also used and it's critical that the submarine tube is horizontal to enable air to escape, otherwise it collects in the J-tube bend now above the thermostat. This is less important on a wet sump setup as long as you drill a hole in the thermostat.

Stu.