Click here if you are having website access problems ×

On-track incident - Help with damage assessment

KnifeySpoony

I was involved in an incident at Sonoma yesterday, sustained some light damage to my left front wheel/wing. Video of incident and pics below. After the incident while driving back to the paddock, the steering wheel was turned slightly to the left (maybe 10 degrees?) to travel in a straight line. Looking at the front suspension after the incident, there was no play in the wheel/hub. Everything seemed tight. I don't see anything obviously bent. Steering arms looks straight, but there is a slightly shiny area on the front left arm (tried to photograph it). I don't know if this is just an irregular area in the casting, or if it is evidence of bent/stretched metal there. You can see from the video that the right front was hit as well, but only on the inside of the tire sidewall. Before driving home from the track, I adjusted the toe on the left front (just by feel, testing by driving up/down the paddock) until the car tracked straight. I had to turn the tie rod about 1.5 turns (pushing the steering arm outward (pushing the toe out on the left front, which I figured was necessary given the prior steering wheel position). Today I checked the toe with the steering wheel straight and there is 1/2" (12mm) of toe out. Previously the car was set for zero toe.

So I'm not sure what exactly was bent, or what I should replace. Should I just realign it and run as is? Or do I need to replace the steering arm(s)? Anything else that could've been damaged? The steering seems smooth but could the rack be damaged? There was a slight shimmy in the wheel at freeway speeds on the way home, speed dependent, felt like a tire slightly out of balance. The wheel itself is scuffed but looks straight though might not be. Or it could just be tires flat spotted.

Thanks!

20230924_144021.thumb.jpg.e60edde9250e838f49f91d500a8a6ddb.jpg 20230924_144027.thumb.jpg.7fd8c2262a8643a48ad5497c8e7499f5.jpg 20230925_165030.thumb.jpg.1b78fb83085762744141b514990a3171.jpg 20230925_165043.thumb.jpg.d1ff54b21ee3518d7f6bc466d4f44b26.jpg

Sorry to see your car has some damage.

I would say that if the toe is correct if you wind in the 1.5 turns on the track rod end again to where it was, that the steering rack may have moved sideways under the clamps and may just need repositioning, if your track rods look straight.

From a track day perspective I have found the Caterham can be pretty invisible to other drivers when helmeted and strapped in, especially when their seat is lowered to give helmet clearance. It can be out of sight below their window line. I normally only run in mandatory point-by groups when mixed in with other vehicles these days. The other issue is that they can also misjudge the rate the Caterham is slowing down when easing off the throttle, for corners that just require a lift for me, I've had a few cars get closer than they meant to because they didn't brake when they should have, followed by them getting into trouble due to being too fast into the corner. 

Measured steering arms to discs - equidistant both sides. The rack does not appear to have slid within the mounts - at least I don't see any marks on the rack to indicate this. However we're talking just ~1.5mm of shift based on the amount of tie rod turns needed to make the car track straight. Looking at the steering rack "bridge" - the welds look ok, no obvious cracks. If it has bent, what is the solution? Just adjust the tie rods and go on with my day? 

I also noticed that the right lower wishbone appears to have flexed back enough to hit the paintwork during the hit to the right front tire. Is there any chance this could have bent the lower control arm bolt? It's not currently fouling, there looks to be a small gap. I never noticed the scratch before - I supposed it's possible it was there before. 

Pic below-

20230926_184909.thumb.jpg.f5b4ff3bbaa1bdf0cb040fbc222f8bd8.jpg

Do check for a twist in the lower steering column.

You would be surprised how easy it is to twist it a little.

SO get it checked for alignment and you should be able to see if your corrections have missaligned the front wheels.

If the column has twisted then both wheels will have been offset to one side.  Then your alignment fix may be setting you running straight but toe missaligned.

Hope you follow.

Do you mean the lower steering column itself has twisted? That seems odd based on where the forces are acting. 

I'm hearing from other sources as well that the bridge shifting/bending is a common situation and acts as a "fuse" in the system. If mine is only shifted a couple mm, it seems within acceptable tolerance to just realign and move on with my life? This all assuming the welds are ok? Or is that foolishly optimistic...