Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front brake hose queries

JP

I've been rebuilding the front brake hoses today and I've come across 2 issues.  It an imperial 1999 chassis with widetrack suspension and std brake calipers.

1. Regarding the fitting of the caliper banjo bolts, the Assembly guide refers to a thick and thin copper washer that is fitted either side of the banjo.  I need to order these, but the Caterham parts site only refers to one washer which, it says is fitted either side - here.  Have things moved on and I just need two if these - one either side of the banjo on the bolt?  Or are there part numbers for the thick and thin washers that I haven't been able to find?  There is nothing in my De Dion parts manual.

2. At the inboard end of the hose, I am finding that the brake pipe nut on the rigid pipe is hitting / fouling on the flexi pipe nut before the rigid pipe nut is properly snugged down.  It's as if there isn't  enough thread left on the flexi hose once I add the washer either side of the ally skin and the shakeproof washer and then the hose securing nut.  I've compared against my original hoses and they look the same so I'm not sure why this is happening, unless either (a) it was fouling before and I didn't notice (i didn't build the car) or (b) I'm, using thicker washers either side of the skin...

Can anyone help with either issue please?

I think you might be right.  That is what I am used on brake hoses, but those are the nuts that come with the goodrich hoses.  I'll order some anyway and experiment.  Would you happen to know the spec of the lock nut I need?

Looking back, there was an error when I ordered the hoses and got a set for uprated calipers sent to me instead by mistake.  The fronts were then replaced with the correct hoses for std calipers, but I don't think I got the additional fixings. 

I think I need the fixings that should come with this hose

Quick update:

Banjo end - the 7/16 copper goes above the banjo, where there is a shoulder on the bolt profile.  The 3/8 washer goes between banjo and caliper - thanks Redline!

Inboard end - clearance issue fixed with the correct hose locknuts - thanks again Redline.

Now I've bled the system, it looks like I need a new master cylinder.  I was expecting that anyway really, given how long the car has been off the road.  Just looked at the parts site - they've gone up a lot in price since I last bought one!  £420 for the AP racing one!  I prefer the pedal feel of the AP, but at £420 I might go back to standard for "only" £260...

Anyone know of any cheaper sources or a generic AP part number for the m/cylinder so I can look elsewhere?

Looking further I have a vague recollection that the Caterham AP Racing one was a 6093, which AP say is obsolete and replaced by the 9093.  Does anyone know if this, from Demon Tweeks might be the replacement suitable for the 7?

For years, 80s-90's, the standard MC was the Girling 74660152 used on the Triumph Spitfire 1500, but with a reservoir for horizontal mounting.  I have recently purchased the direct descendant, TRW GMC226, or TRW PMC 146, which I have found to be a direct replacement.  I purchased mine from the David Manners Group. I will have to replace the push rod with a threaded type, these are available.

A friend of mine says he can get the MC with the correct reservoir from Powertrack brakes 

https://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/

Buying new manufacture is usually the better option than rebuilding