Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MBE 992/9A4 pin-outs - alternative (numpty) diagram

Shortshift

• Leadership Team

Came across MBE9A4 4Cyl COP-1342.pdf and thought it worth sharing as a diagram to complement the usual pin-out table that is often seen online for use with MBE 992/9A4 ECUs.

I found this chart useful for a number of reasons, including that it helps to show a numpty like me the 'switch to earth' functionality of the ECU for injector and coil firing.  Somehow, this diagram makes it all so much easier to visualise and understand.

A small, additional point that I have commented on elsewhere; the diagram shows that the cam sensor return should be connected to 0V at pin #23 (which is how they are wired, ex factory) and not to pin #31 as has been mentioned previously on Blatchat.

James

MBE9A44CylCOP-1342_0.thumb.jpg.3022d42b60564ce28428e9daf2a03a03.jpg

• Leadership Team

Chris - it's not a Caterham-specific diagram but, as is the case with the more normally published ECU pin-out tables, it depicts a generic MBE 992/9A4 configuration (including, for instance, other features that are not normally found on a Seven, such as power shift, traction control and so on). 

So you may have to overlay your own individual power-supply circuitry (cut-off switch, ignition switch, starter button, etc) but as far as ECU inputs and outputs are concerned it's 100% - and complements the usual pin-out tables perfectly.

James

PS: Are you sure that your ECUs are permanently powered, even when the car is keyed-off?  I'd find that rather surprising; are you sure that 'permanently powered' doesn't mean 'through the ignition switch'?

#1 A small, additional point that I have commented on elsewhere; the diagram shows that the cam sensor return should be connected to 0V at pin #23 (which is how they are wired, ex factory) and not to pin #31 as has been mentioned previously on Blatchat."

As far as I can see on that diagram MBE 9A4, CAM Inductive signal goes to pin 30 and the 0V goes to pin 5 0V. I can't see a pin 23 or pin 31 on there at all. Is there another diagram I'm not seeing?

• Leadership Team

Replying to #5:

Yup - and as you've mentioned before James (Aerobod), these programmable pins are features of the more recent 9Ax architectures, and are not present on the older 992 spec ECUs.

Replying to #6:

Yes - if you cross-refer the diagram I have posted with the pin-out table that James (Aerobod) has reposted (that's the more commonly published chart), you'll see a number of pins which offer 0V, including #5, #23 and #24.

James