Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA Test - Yeading vs Leighton Buzzard

CAT170

I am about to apply for my Caterham's IVA test and I'm equidistant from these two test centres. Leighton Buzzard would be preferable as it's an easier, more predictable journey but I have not seen many recent (last 5 years) reviews and older ones are rather negative. Any experience of either test centre gratefully received. Thanks 

I went to Leighton Buzzard for my IVA in 2015 and found it to be a positive experience.  The examiner explained everything he was doing and why.  He was friendly and very professional throughout.  I didn't pass first time, mostly due to a documentation issue, but was left with the impression that he was disappointed that it was a failure.  Retest took about five minutes and was done by a different person, equally friendly and professional.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback Steve. I was hoping that every centre would be as professional and helpful as you experienced. Although Caterham suggest Gillingham or Nottingham as being more familiar with our cars, the outcome should be the same.

The documentation is a concern for me based on the fact that that the pre-filled form from Caterham has many incorrect details including those for the engine, weights, descriptions and wrong boxes ticked. Another small setback along the bumpy (but enjoyable) Caterham self-build road!

Thanks Chris. Norwich is a 2 1/2 hour drive and although it is a very nice drive, if I fail then the 2 1/2 drive home and a repeat journey is perhaps a bit more than my nerves could handle :).  Gillingham would be either taking half of the M25 or going through London or it's suburbs - neither would be good.  I think I will sign up for Leighton Buzzard unless someone comes back with a recent scare story. It's also a very enjoyable 40 minute A and B road journey for me to get there.

re #2 above... Steve Wilkins' comments reflect my experience of Yeading in 2013!

My tester in turn was being tested so was a bit too diligent and failed me on something he'd misinterpreted but was OK with me corresponding and accepted my opinion (the IVA manual being online was VERY useful!).  

The other failure items were fair enough (though should've been picked up by Caterham in the PBC *banghead* )

The testers more often than not are inspecting trucks so when one of us rocks up with our silly little car, they see it as a result to relieve the usual monotony.

Also, based on experience, take a very long route to the test to get the brakes fully bedded-in en route.

There are several schools of thought as to the best way to do this.

You want the front brakes to lock-up ahead of the rears (otherwise, ask me how I know *yikes* , it'll be a fail) 

My main piece of advice would be go in convoy with a support vehicle with a boot full of tools, a spare pair of hands AND arrive early enough to deal with the issues you discover on it's first ever journey. 

On my drive to Gillingham I discovered the speedo stopped working at about 65mph - bear in mind it had never been faster than 10mph before! Fortunately, I had enough time to jack up the car in the nearby Screwfix carpark, get out my feeler gauges and adjust the speed sensor by a fraction of a millimetre. When they put it on the rollers at 70mph I discovered I'd correctly adjusted it :)

Good luck - it's a stressful but fantastic experience. 

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken 2 weeks but DVSA have just emailed to say that my application has now been accepted for assessment - hopefully not too long before they say I can book and pay for a test at Leighton Buzzard which is where I selected in the end. 

I had planned to take Tyraps and tools (thanks Tom and Richard) but the suggestion to have a support vehicle and person, whilst obvious, is not one I considered but I think I will do that too. I will also aim to give the brakes and engine a workout for the emissions and brake tests.