Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Improving SV suspension

150SV

Whilst I love my 7, I do feel the ride quality could be improved without upsetting the rest of the cars dynamics.

I am speaking to Simon at Meteor today to see what his suggestions are, but I wondered what others have tried/considered and why ?

Personally, I feel the car should be able to ride the bumps better than mine currently does, and I dont really have enough experience in 7s to know if thats how they are ?

My impressions are that it feels either poorly or over damped, it feels like it crashes over bumps, or bounces around on the top of them.

I fitted refurbished original Bilstein dampers. I haven't really got much experience of others to compare with, but I can't see anything wrong with the way it rides and handles on the road.

I took an Elise owner out for a spin yesterday and the ride quality was one thing that really impressed him.

I've got the CORE one way adjustables on my SV from Meteor and they are great. The front with the digressive piston option feels terrific, much less crashy but still stiff for the track day. The rear is better than the bilsteins but it took a bit of experimenting before I found a damper setting I liked. He put softer springs on the front of mine but similar ones on the rear. I can't remember the rating to be honest but it was great on the way to brands hatch and great on the track too.

I think the ride height/corner weight settings are important too. I have 15" wheels and about 85mm clearance under the sump and 10 to 15mm rake. Feels fab every time I drive it :-)

Hello Graham, 

I am currently having my 7 flat floor/corner weighed and wheel alignment done as we speak. 85 mm under the sump sounds low to me but i have been measuring my ride height from the bottom chassis tubes to the ground, 135 front and 150 rear.  My car has 13" wheels and has a wet sump so hangs lower than a dry sump, i can see that the lowest part is the sump but i haven't measured it there.  Do you know what your ride height, measured from under the chassis tubes to the ground is?

Cheers

Dave

I should add my car has Bilstein 620R shock absorbers now fitted with 250 lbs front springs and 215 lbs rear springs.  I found the 350 lbs std 620R springs were a little too harsh over some of the roads here in Australia.  

I would start with making sure the setup is correct and all components are functioning correctly before upgrading.  So basically getting a flat floor setup and any bump steer issues resolved, then evaluate the need for an upgrade.  

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the advice, would i also need to have the shocks re valved.  My shocks are standard 620r Bilsteins that came std with 350 lbs springs, i was a little concerned dropping down to the 250 lbs fronts and the 215 rears.

My 7 is a 2014 Roadsport Duratec 175. with front and rear ARB's and a drexler LSD. if that makes any difference.  I figure your input would be very welcome in suspension matters.

Cheers

Dave