Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hot Differential - Reassurance Sought !

alcal

I have an 8 month old 360S the open BMW diff in which gets too hot to keep my hand on after a drive of say10 miles at c.70mph. C.C. told me that this is not unusual and I wonder if others here have similar experience with or knowledge of this?

I never considered the temperature at which my diff ran until I ditched the Titan and fitted the Tracsport. 

I asked Steve Perks about running temperature and he said it would be about 75c. I've checked it a couple of times after decent road runs, with an infra red pyro, and that's what it was, 75c. 

Given what's going on there and how much torque and power is transmitted that seems perfectly fine to me  

I would not worry

I ran an Impreza Spec C with 445BHP at Anglesey on a track day after spending £250 on fuel and many hard laps the too hot diff light came on , a tiny weep from the nipple allowed brake fluid dripped onto the front discs , smoke rose. 

I gave it a break , the diff cooled , I went back on to dice again  , and drove home and put a new set of Toyo Proxes 888Rs on the car 

As others have said a diff that is too hot to touch with bare skin is not unusual 

You might though want to change the diff oil yearly , assuming its not a sealed unit