Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wipers, have I got long arms?

Gridgway

I need new wiper blades on my live axle 7, so I was pleased to read Gavin Hobbs' article in LF.  I missed the bit originally about being an SV chassis!

Curious about the lengths, I though I would measure before ordering the 220mm morgan ones.  So my wipers are 170mm in length not Gavin's 235mm!  They reach up to the top of the glass when in motion, but leave a big area unswept at the bottom.  Anyone know anything about the arm length, or is there some other dimensional change going on the the windscreen dept?

The 6" ones mentioned in the article will work for me, but leave an even bigger area unswept at the bottom.

Just shorter arms needed?  Also my arms are matt black, so I couldn't really fit silver wipers with a clear conscience!

Hi Graham, my 1982 car has blades at 190mm long, I seem to recall the early Landrover were the donor vehicles for these, but I may be mistaken, I think I bought these from Caterham, and had to shorten them, this enabled me to gat a decent lower screen sweep and adjust length to suit the top, the overall swept area is ok, but there is a large area on the nearside not swept, hope this helpful. Cheers. Nigel.

The blades on my 2021 SV are 213mm long.

According to the details on the Melvyn Rutter MogParts site the improved blades for the Plus Six and Plus Four are 210mm long.

So, if the pivot is in the same place, they should be pretty much a perfect swap for me.

Will be ordering some ...

MattB

I followed Dave's lead and bought a pair of 210mm blades from pgil3454 on eBay.  Saved a third on what they would have cost me from Melvyn Rutter.

He has 200mm, 210mm and 220mm lengths available, but the pivot isn't in the same place on all of them.  Judging from the photos the 200mm has 108mm above and 92mm below, the 210mm has 118mm above and 92mm below, and the 220mm has 113mm above and 107mm below.

The 210mm blades are pretty much a perfect match for the ones CC fitted to my SV.

Photo attached.

IMG_2715.jpeg.f68e6fc06d4e7f8b6e876ff4528cf986.jpeg

They are stainless, so I used a rattle can to make mine black. As Gavin says in his article I had to bend over the tabs on the socket.

Just need some rain to see how well they work ...

MattB

I bought some 8" black, sprung wiper blades from the Westfield stand at the National Kit Car Show a few years ago which fitted an SV windscreen perfectly but not a Series 3. This was shortly before l switched from a CSR to a Series 3 Supersport, so they've sat in a drawer unused ever since! *laugh*