Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1987 BDR Spark plugs ? Standard state of tune (A.I. Content)

anthonym

I asked GPT4 which responded with the below; what is the correct answer?

Correction this si the GPT3.5 response:

For a standard state of tune 1987 Caterham BDR car, the recommended spark plugs are NGK BPR6ES or Denso W16EPR-U. Both of these spark plugs have a thread diameter of 14mm, a reach of 19mm, and a 20.8mm hex size.

NGK BPR6ES is a copper core spark plug that offers good performance and reliability at an affordable price. It is a popular choice among car enthusiasts and mechanics.

Denso W16EPR-U is a platinum-tipped spark plug that offers a longer service life and better ignitability compared to copper core spark plugs. It is more expensive than NGK BPR6ES, but its durability and performance make it a worthwhile investment.

and this is the much less interesting GPT4 response:

While I cannot provide you with specific spark plug models since manufacturers may have released new products since my knowledge cutoff in 2021, I can provide you with some general guidance on choosing the right spark plugs for your 1987 Caterham BDR car in standard state of tune.

When selecting spark plugs, you'll want to consider the following factors:

Material: Spark plugs are typically made of copper, platinum, or iridium. Copper spark plugs offer good performance and are generally less expensive but have a shorter lifespan. Platinum and iridium spark plugs last longer and provide better overall performance. Iridium is considered the best choice for most modern engines.

Heat range: The heat range of a spark plug refers to its ability to dissipate heat from the combustion chamber. The correct heat range is essential to prevent pre-ignition and fouling. You'll want to consult your vehicle's owner manual or a mechanic to find the appropriate heat range for your specific engine.

Gap size: The gap size is the distance between the center electrode and the ground electrode. This gap affects the spark plug's performance and must be set correctly for your engine. Again, consult your vehicle's owner manual or a mechanic to find the appropriate gap size for your engine.

Popular spark plug manufacturers include NGK, Denso, Bosch, and Autolite. You may want to research these brands and their offerings for a suitable spark plug for your 1987 Caterham BDR. Always double-check with the manufacturer's specifications to ensure compatibility with your vehicle before making a purchase.

so I told GPT4 its response was not interesting compared to GPT3 and it responded with this:

I apologize if my previous response didn't meet your expectations. Let me try to provide more specific information that may be helpful for your 1987 Caterham BDR car with a standard state of tune.

The Caterham BDR cars often used Ford engines, such as the Ford Kent or Ford Crossflow engines, which were widely used in many British sports cars of that era. If your Caterham BDR has one of these Ford engines, you may want to consider spark plugs specifically recommended for those engines.

One popular option for the Ford Kent engine is the NGK BP6ES spark plug. Another option to consider is the Champion N9YC. Both of these spark plugs have a good reputation for performance and reliability in classic Ford engines.

Please note that these recommendations are based on my knowledge cutoff in 2021, and newer spark plugs may be available. Always confirm with your vehicle's owner manual, an authorized dealer, or a qualified mechanic before making a purchase to ensure compatibility with your specific engine.

Whilst I can't answer your question, I would say that any answers from ChatGPT I would take with a very large pinch of salt!

We did some playing around with it at work, asking it to answer questions that we knew the answers to. In every case it answered very confidently, very plausibly, but in reality the answers were bulls**t. After a while began to feel like talking to the pub know-it-all who would spout confidently on any subject without really knowing what he was on about.

In one case it gave a long mathematical proof, which looked very comprehensive, but in the middle there were jumps and steps that were plain wrong. In another case it translated a program from one language to another by making up functions and methods which didn't exist, which made the output practically useless.

I tried grilling it on MEMS3 ECUs for a laugh and got a very definitive explanation of the temperature sensor calibration table, and how it was calibrated in degrees of ignition advance!

And if you challenge it, it just sort of says "oh, what I meant was" and gives a completely different answer.

Whilst it was clearly very impressive what it COULD DO, and often had us scratching it heads wondering HOW DID IT DO THAT?, after a while it started to become very obvious what it COULDN'T do.

What Andrew says.

It's an enormous issue in healthcare. I'm involved but no longer committed.

The most useful advice at the moment is... think about what and whom you trust and why. And then about how that trust relationship can be preserved and migrated as the media change.

Jonathan

Junk advice, as in every other field.

But also lots of specifics, including one that might be right up your street... in many settings there are *large numbers of discharge summaries and similar waiting to be completed and sent. You could throw what information there is at eg ChatGPT and it will produce something plausible. Not accurate or safe, just plausible... and cheap and quick...

Jonathan

* On my first day as a houseman I inherited 60... for patients whom I'd never seen!