Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lost the tip

Ballast-ic

of my dipstick!

Planning on going out tomorrow, so checked the oil, then checked it again and on removing the dipstick the tip didn't come put with the rest of it. So I've got 1cm or so of metal in the sump somewhere. 2l Duratec with wet sump. Raceline engine, but not their sump (I'm in contact with them in case they have any bright ideas).

What's the option of the experts here? 

1. Will be OK as filters will stop it getting anywhere it shouldn't.
  2. Take sump off and remove offending item
  3. any other options....

picture of end of dipstickdipstickend.jpg.6873d7be3abf56fad26e97dc8a148e84.jpg

It is metal. On close inspection it has worn down, presumably at the quite sharp curve of the shaft. The tip  is fused to the wire and over time has worn, to expose the wire and eventually gave way. It is odd. Wonder if anyone has had the same happen to them. I guess not by the lack of responses!

Apparently there is a finger filter in the sump which should trap it, so will give that a go tomorrow.

#3  Apparently there is a finger filter in the sump which should trap it, so will give that a go tomorrow.

Do you know what make of wet sump you have?  Is there a logo on the underside?  Can you post photos of both sides of the sump?

For comparison, this is the Raceline/Caterham Duratec wet sump:

Raceline-CaterhamDuratecwetsump--fingerfilter.jpg.132a58eba5ea367ccaa3ad31ede79906.jpg

The yellow arrow shows the finger filter, and the red arrow shows where it fits (held in place by that big blue plug).

If you have something like this, there's zero chance of your bit of dipstick reaching the oil pump.  In fact, it may simply remain quietly on the bottom of the sump.

JV

Thanks John V. The sump has no markings on the bottom, but does have the blue nut and the finger filter behind it. Engine was rebuilt before I bought the car and I have invoice for a Raceline engine and windage tray, but no sump, so suspect the original 2006 sump was used. Maybe Caterham didn't have markings back then?? 

Anyway, coupling your advice with my thoughts of "what is the point of a filter if it doesn't filter stuff", I fired it up and went for a blat and all good. I checked the finger filter before firing up the engine, but wasn't expecting anything, as  there would have been no flow of oil. I'll check tomorrow and see if the filter has trapped  anything.

Neil, don't do enough track work to justify DS. Want a Tracksport LSD first!! 

If your sump is Raceline/Caterham, the inside looks like this:

Raceline-CaterhamDuratecwetsump-interior2.jpg.45abac772f91dd12d62040a15e2e11f3.jpg

A:  Hole for the dipstick tube
B:  Where your dipstick bit probably is at the moment
C:  Oil pick-up pipe
D:  Finger-filter housing

To move out of B, the bit will have to pass through one of the two apertures in the dividing wall between B and the pick-up.  That could well happen, but to proceed from there to the finger filter seems unlikely -- although possible, I guess.

JV