Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Alternator failure

DerekH

• Area Representative

My 270S SV's alternator has failed while laid up for the winter. No battery light on the tacho when ignition on and no output voltage from the alternator. The connection for the light is completly corroded.

I think its my fault but I thought I'd share it on here.  This is a 2020 car so just 3 year old.

466A2917-B6BB-4C84-BE2E-0FD89DEB1E62.thumb.JPG.0b4c4abe0008fc84f1228041978dac48.JPG

I washed the car before I put it away. the Sigma alternator sits almost on the top of the engine and the connector is vertical. It is directly under the louvers on the LH side of the bonnet.

So to remove the alternator on a Sigma you need to drain the coolant to remove the aluminium pipe that runs behind the inlet manifold to access the bolts. This led me to find out the radiator is leaking in all four corners and need to be repaired, replacement ordered from Radtech.

So my idea is to make a rain/water shield to protect the alternator, has anyone already done this?

DerekH

Can you add a photo of where the alternator is mounted? Is that the standard position on Sigmas?

If you get it rebuilt ask if the terminal block can be fitted so that the  terminals are more protected.

Ditto if replaced.

Can the whole alternator be rotated?

Is a protective rubber boot available?

Jonathan

"This led me to find out the radiator is leaking in all four corners and need to be repaired, replacement ordered from Radtech."

Have you seen the posts about making sure that there is no twisting force from the brackets on the radiator? Might require bending brackets, opening mounting holes, and packing with washers.

Jonathan

• Area Representative

The mounting is part of the alternator body, 3 bolts. two on top behind the water pipe running behind the manifold and one on the underside.

It can only be mounted in this orientation.

1CD4882F-38AF-4F37-978E-66C329212DB7_0.thumb.JPG.5cb6fb40f5ca93083901c988bffa8c57.JPG

IMG_9792.thumb.jpg.e3fb20f3b58728fd7a6a8338de2c6c78.jpg

IMG_9793.thumb.jpg.a11cb03e539bd173c3ecbae177a478c2.jpg

The cable gland does not really provide enough waterproofing. I'll be adding some RTV sealant inside the gland/boot.

A new unit has been sourced from Lancaster rotary electrics for £75 including shipping. It's a Ford part.

When fitted in a Fiesta it gets a nice roof over it, staying dry.

Thanks for the answers