Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Lighting Options

JP

I'm about to start the process of putting everything back together for my rebuild and I'm thinking about options for keeping a clean rear panel without fog or reverse lights. 

I've been hunting around for an option that incorporates these into the rear lighting clusters, but I'm struggling to find anything with a classic styling.  I don't really want the modern look of the Caterham LED option, but the options I've found on the usual kit car builder sites all look a bit "cluttered".

Can anyone point me to rear light cluster options that incorporate the fog and reverse and also have a classic look please?

Ah - I hadn't spotted the number plate / reverse combo.  I like that.  Looking at the Caterham website, it looks as if a wiring loom adapter would be required?  For anyone who has this, does it come with such an adapter? 

Although I'm having my chassis modified to make the spare wheel carrier removable, I imagine that I'll be running with a spare most of the time.  I doubt a fog strip light under the car would be visible with a spare wheel in place, but I guess there's no reason not to fix a fog light to the wheel carrier?

• 4 months later...

Just reviving this as I'm at the stage of choosing the fog / reverse light.  Can anyone share their experience of particular sources / brands of light or share links that I can check out please? 

It's the number plate light / fog light / reverse light that I need to decide upon.  My reskinned rear panel has no cut outs for the standard fog and reverse lights and I want to keep it that way. 

For those who have added strip lights, do you have any tips for mounting them?  Will ZIP ties holding the strip light to the rear basket tubes do the job?

Is there an alternative (cheaper!) source for the CC number plate / reverse combo light?

(For the rear clusters, I'll keep the original look but with JAL LED inserts.)

What about - number plate reversing light and then a high mounted stop lamp on the roll bar acting as you fog light - in the X if FIA roll bar - would be the same brightness albeit not sure on the height requirerment in regulations - could alternative sling one under the fuel tank.

Must admit mine is only on the car for the MOT as never use it (can't remember last time I used it in the tin top either and I do circa 20,000 miles a year)

#10 - I think my edit / your post crossed - thank you.

#9 I'll check the regs - I have added a double diagonal FIA bar so that could work.

Looking at the Caterham number plate light / reverse light, it specifies that it's for "no spare wheel carrier" cars.  Why?  Is it because the mounting hole pattern is different?  Is the new loom section too short to reach up to a higher mounted light?  (I have changed my fixed spare wheel carrier for a removable spare wheel carrier, but I want to run with a spare most of the time.  Can't be bothered with tyre repairs at the side of the road or waiting for a recovery service in case of a flat.)

This is my solution, implemented in 2018 when I rebuilt the car. I had a new rear panel and wanted to keep the clean look.

The LED units (bought from Germany, not sure they're still available and can't find the link either) are mounted on alloy plates (made from the old rear skin) which were riveted to the rear basket tube whilst the fuel tank was out of the car. I have since covered the clean lenses with a light smoke tint to further hide them.

The plug hanging down beneath is for the number plate light so that I can remove the spare wheel carrier and run without a spare. Both the spare wheel carrier and the mounting plate for just a numberplate have their own lamp units so its literally the work of minutes to swap over.

Cheers

Andrew

IMG_1890.thumb.JPG.7112bc610d030d1c417943f84c142923.JPG