Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Petty Strut for FIA roll bar

C7 Owl

Im prepping car to go to join the club sprint and hill climb championship.  My year 2000 superlight has an FIA roll bar but did not come with a petty strut which I need to pass meet regs and scrutineering.  There is one on ebay for an S3 FIA single diagonal from 1992.  Im pretty sure it should fit mine which also has the single diagonal and is from 8 years later.  Does anyone know the measurements of the petty strut for my car?  Or is there a measurement I could take from my car that I could ask the seller to confirm so I know that it will fit.  

• Leadership Team

As far as I am aware, as long as they are both from a single diagonal FIA (AKA Trackday) roll bar, you should be fine.  The Petty Strut comes in two parts which allows a degree of adjustment for length and as I am sure you are aware, it bolts into a boss which is hidden behind the interior sideskin on the passenger side. I have the standard Petty strut adjusted to fit a tall FIA roll bar so I won't provide my dimensions as I suspect they'll be subtly different from standard, but I'm sure someone will come along with confirmation soon!

Please be aware that the scrutineers will expect to see an official approval sticker attached to the Petty Strut, so it's worth checking whether the one you are ordering comes with one (not all do, and some people remove them to have their strut re-powdercoated etc.)  It's perfectly possible to get one affixed later but it means going back to the manufacturer to request...

• Area Representative

The certification sticker for te single diagonal "FIA" roll over bar is normally on one of the rearward stays rather than on the petty strut. I believe Arch motors will issue a replacement sticker if requested.

Yes. I've been aware of scrutineers checking certification stickers at a few events.

That sounds promising then that is should be a match. Thanks for quick responses.  The sticker is on the strut from the sellers pictures.  The seller has said his was 988mm between the fixing points. Im going to give a quick measure tomorrow.  

• Area Representative

The sticker is on the strut from the sellers pictures.

I stand corrected...

I'd guess that Keith must have obtained the sticker comparatively recently, and stuck it on the petty strut.

My original (2002) FIA bar certainly had the sticker on the roll bar itself, which was destroyed when I had the bar plastic coated.

I think scrutineers checking certification stickers must have started after I swapped to a full cage (2011)

• Leadership Team

As I remember it being explained to me, from the point a number of years ago when it was clarified that the FIA approval of the overall structure was only valid when the the Petty Strut in place, the sticker needed to be affixed to the strut as the approval wasn't otherwise valid *byebye*