Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil change timing

Doc007

If you are going to change the oil then before hibernation is the time to do it.  The main issue with oil is becoming contaminated with combustion products so best to get rid of these before the engine stands idle for some time. If you want to be really careful then warm up the old oil, drain, refill and circulate oil on the starter without starting the engine.  This may, however, all be a bit OTT if your oil is not very old to start with. 

• Area Representative

IMO after hibernation. Nice fresh clean oil & new filter for the season. Cannot see a problem. In my case 2000 mile 'old' oil/filter waiting till 2023. The carbon/contaminant content will be acceptably low.

I carry out anti-det runs once a month during the Winter lay up. A personal habit that comes from having worked with Winter stored piston engined aircraft. Gas turbines can go longer between anti-det runs but still require them. And it is fun waking them up! 

Did change my ten year old gear box oil & two year old Tracsport LSD oil in September as weather conditions to drive out & get the box/LSD warm can be a barrier. This action reduces my service time in March.

• Area Representative

One makes individual informed choices............

Seems a waste of good clean oil to leave over Winter unless the engine usage in miles is high. In this case I would insist on changing the oil again before the season to wash out residual contaminants.

Either way, clean or used oil a cold unused engine will attract moisture.

Of course there is the alternative - fogging oil or storage oil but then one cannot fire up regularly during the Winter period.