Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nickel Bronze chassis welding near Stockport

tompollock

• Area Representative

Tom:- I have a DCOE rebuilding guide from Complete Kit Car magazine August 2007.  I could get it scanned for you. It's older than I thought, so a back copy is unlikely to be available.

P.S. I have just looked here https://www.performancepublishing.co.uk/back-issues.html and August 2007 doesn't seem to be available.

Thanks Stephen,

I've looked at the carburetor section of Part 3 of the most excellent "Get to know Your Seven" guides and it seems pretty comprehensive.  If I get stuck I'll take you up on the offer.  Thank you.  First things first though, the chassis is my immediate priority and hopefully that can be addressed this coming week.

Thanks Andrew.  I'll keep the book in mind.

My car is a 1990 S3 Supersprint 1700, and afaik so far is completely standard in the jetting/timing department.

Took it out for it's first run today (I'm new to C7's) and though the engine ticks over like a train it smells like it is running very rich. Though very tractable, it spits back on a light throttle between 1750-2500.

Its eager for revs on full throttle and is still pulling at 6500 when I chicken out.  How high is safe with the 1700 Crossflow? 

Plenty of sexy popping and banging on the overrun, and as the cam in this engine is reasonably mild, it seems to confirm it is running very rich.  I'm sure a carb rebuild will give me a good base to start on, then I can try the different jetting recommended over the factory spec.

Heater motor to replace first, then the indicator switch and all the rocker switches, two of which are now non functional this week, the car having passed the mot only a few days ago.  The joys of re-commissioning a 32 year old car that has been OTR, stored in a garage about 50 metres from the beach.