Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Enhanced stop light bulb?

Chris C

Good post Doug *thumb_up*

#24 Finally, I remember a post from several years ago where someone had found some plastic highly mirrored concave reflectors that could be fitted behind the bulbs to improve the rear lights (though these probably affect the E marking status!)

Yes, I recall that discussion. circa 2013, I don't recall the description but they were expensive and I wasted money buying two and cutting them to shape.  They made little or no difference and after a year had corroded and discoloured, you would get a better result using cheap reflective tape.  Having said that it is a bit Heath Robinson compared to what is now available in the form of either Caterham or JAL LED upgrades.

Rearlights02.jpg.da92b56f614eb04406c8f1d216e9c255.jpg Rearlights03.jpg.4e37d2561fa5c12af6ffac9de87bfb39.jpg

Here are my thoughts. After a foggy morning in the Peak District our cars were invisible with standard bulbs or even LED bulbs. I changed to the JAL rear PCBs which are significantly better, preserve the original look and are sensibly priced. Personally I would prefer to take a step towards reducing the risk of collision in the first place. 
I fitted them knowing they were not E marked. In my opinion I think an insurance company would be very hard pressed to prove that a vasty improved light over OEM contributed towards an accident or that with original lights the accident wouldn't have happened. This is the only non-standard item on my car.

• 2 weeks later...