Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Play in steering plus clicking from rear

MJW16

Hi all,

I had the Caterham out for a blast today - the first decent drive since it was MOT'd and serviced - and a couple of pesky problems have reared their head.

The steering has suddenly developed some major play.  On investigation when I got home, you can see the column moving in and out of the rack when you move the steering wheel back and forth in the 'dead spot'.  Has anyone come across this?

Also, it's developed a horrible click at the rear end when starting off from a stand still, which is worse if turning.  It sounds exactly like when I've had CV joints go in the past on front wheel drive cars.  When I had the service done, it was recommended that I have four CV boots replaced along with two diff oil seals as there was a slight leak.  I had all that done, so strange that a noticeable issue should now manifest itself after the advisory work was completed?

As ever, any pearls of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Mike

CaterhamSteeringrack.jpg.1cfd96da50929444f22c55ebe61b7381.jpg

I'll have a stab in the absence of anyone else. both sound very dodgy to me. "Very" because steering is involved. 

CV joints; maybe the damage was already done and too late? Some can't be replaced some can - availability. Which car is this? The strange CV bit inside can be replaced or not likewise.

Steering: I've never had or heard of play (luck?) so I wouldn't be going far or anywhere until sorted. Yes my wheel has always pulled in and out, I can only guess it therefore moves in/out at the rack. 

Sorry not a great reply, but it seemed a bit quiet.

Anthony

• Leadership Team

I had the same with the steering rack, the splined section is held 'into' the rack by a circlip, you can see it in your photo. On my rack the circlip had moved out of the rack slightly allowing the short splined section to move around, easily rectified by pushing the splined section fully in and moving the circlip back into its groove.

Thanks guys

I'll have a look at that circlip this morning. 

CV joint click- Looks like it might be just an annoying coincidence that one or more have failed immediately after new boots being fitted. Back up to S&C's to get those done I guess, once the steering is sorted and safe to drive