Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham roller throttle bodies

RogerB

Attempting to balance the T.B.s according to the Minister guide & there is an imbalance between No 1 & the other cylinders. 1 being at 7kg/hr and the rest at 6. As there is only a means to adjust between the two pairs any suggestions how this can be resolved.

K RTBs dont have air bleeds AFAIK, the only way would be some subtle mods to the barrels themselves. It might be worth doing a compression test to see if anything is awry between the cylinders. If you cant resolve the imbalance in absolute terms, then it is worth opening the rear TB to 6.5KG/HR so that the overall draw is the same between the front and rear TBs.

Oily

I've now balanced as close as I can get at 1000rpm., cyl 1 to 4 at 6.2, 6.7, 5.9 & 6.5 respectively. 

Then carrying out the MBE reset by depressing the throttle 5 times with ignition on.

I'm still getting a slight miss fire on No1, about 16/min, which clears above about 1500 rpm. 

The lumpy running at tick over is what started me to try this rebalancing process. 

I've now balanced air flow as close as I can get at 1000rpm., cyl 1 to 4 at 6.2, 6.7, 5.9 & 6.5 kg/hr respectively. 

Then carrying out the MBE reset by depressing the throttle 5 times with ignition on.

I'm still getting a slight miss fire on No1, about 16/min, which clears above about 1500 rpm. 

The lumpy running at tick over is what started me to try this rebalancing process. 

Hi Roger, if you have a slight misfire on cylinder 1, check the connector to the coil with a magnifying glass and look for any arcing or fatigue fracturing of the wire. This connector seems to be the most prone to vibration which can cause either a fracture or the spring surface of the socket relaxing to cause intermittent contact. I put a strip of foam tape on the underside of my coil cover to try to reduce the vibration of the coil connectors

Trying to remove the TPS so as to elongate the holes to allow adjustment to the correct resistance I have eventually loosened all the screws on the TPS and mounting plate. However I still can't see how the TPS is removed. 

• Leadership Team

I have a similar issue with my K-RBTBs, resulting in one pair being near similar flow but the other pair needing a compromise, one high, one low. Is it feasible to add a bleed screw to correct the problem? It's probably only necessary to fit one to the body which draws a low flow reading? 

You would need a substantial boss to support an bleed screw and ideally you would need to draw air from inside the air filter envelope which would be hard to arrange. The TBS would need to be removed to facilitate this. An alternative would be to make a subtle modification to the hole through the TB bar.

Oily

Success! 

To sum up - Following Minister Instructions on Basic setup of Caterham Roller Throttle Bodies available elsewhere on Tech talk. 

Throttle bodies balanced using an air flow meter. No 2 cylinder required subtle modification (using a round file to open up the crescent aperture at min opening. Taking care by stuffing a rag into the throttle body to catch aluminum filings complimented with vacuuming out)

Removing TPS to file slots in the two securing bolt holes so as to allow adjustment of sensor to achieve correct reading of 0.45 ohm at tick over position.

This required repeating the steps many times, adjusting the tick over setting screw and re checking the resistance of the TPS as adjustment of one would upset the other.

Finally no miss fire and engine ticking over smoothly at 1000 RPM.

Many thanks to Oily and other posts. We learn so much from this resource.