Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham diffuser pics please

pkw2704

Like this sort of diffuser? https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/caterham-7-non-sv-carbon-fibre-rear-diffuser-for-de-dion-axle/R01SB0121

I can't conceive that they will positively affect aerodynamic performance as there is no controlled flow under the car to begin with, just slow the car a bit due to the extra weight, offset by the significantly lighter wallet if you pay cash *smile*

I would echo Tazio and say don't do it. 

I had the Reverie version on my car.  I found out after I purchased I was going to be the first to install one of their diffusers on a Caterham. Reverie had not ever test fitted it to a car - they just made it for what they thought would work.   Had to fabricate brackets.  Had to cut out pieces and insert some reinforcement panels in aluminium to allow suspension deflection (I have a CSR which made it more challenging).  Real pain.  But I made it work as the photos below from 12 years ago show.  

For road driving you would not notice anything.  On track there was a difference but not desirable.  At one of my local circuits there is a hump on the back straight where my Caterham gets all wheels airborne at around 125mph.  With the diffuser installed, I could get the front end higher of the ground which made it awfully exciting coming back to tarmac as it would get very squirrely given it would land unevenly.  I ended up putting the Caterham into a university wind tunnel and we found the diffuser was having a mild downforce effect but it was more messing up the front end for front/rear chassis balance.  It also became a collector of all rubber, rocks, trash, etc thrown up by the front wheels.   I eventually took it off after four years.    

I think if I had a race set up with a lower ride height, the answer would have been somewhat different.  I wanted to use my Caterham for both road and track and so ran a regular road ride height.  The diffuser was then not close enough to the ground in track usage to make the effects of its installation positive.  

Aerodynamics is complicated.

DSC_1995_edited-2.thumb.jpg.91ab64d0caf8964ce205e5a966655159.jpg

DSC_1991_edited-1.thumb.JPG.fac049e176f6ca3ba0f7a83304a41a2a.JPG