Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How do you clean your spark plugs?

OldAndrewE

Watched an episode of Secrets of the Transport Museum the other night and Allen Millyard was on as he was going to demonstrate The Flying Millyard bike (5 litre V twin) and the plugs needed cleaning.  He held them in a vice and heated the business end to red heat with a blowlamp.  He recons never wire brush or blast.  Interesting I have never thought of doing that.

Beware do not let them drop in water, they just explode *yikes* 

He had adapted 2 cylinders from a radial aircraft engine for his motorbike but the engine was so low revving, 1800 if I remember, and it didnt gain enough temperature to clean the plugs so he had to do that before starting. The guy is a genius when you see some of his creations. Could do with him buying a Caterham then we would see some amazing mods.

I remember our boss's wife had a Lotus Cortina Mk2 she just went shopping in it. That engine burnt 1pt of oil per 250 miles froom new. She constantly complained of misfires. We used to take it out and give it good thrashing. That cleaned the plugs of oil and it fired on all four after. Didnt even need to remove the plugs. 

To make starting easier the plugs don't even need to be that hot IME. 

One of my mowers, a Honda 4 stroke is always reluctant to start after winter. I took the plug out, heated for maybe 30s with a hot air gun, put it back and it fired first pull. I think you just need enough heat to vaporise the fuel properly.